Dreyfus on Heidegger

kmik

Feb 2, 2005
I found this 10000 hour lecture on Being and Time on soulseek by Herbert Dreyfus and now downloading. Is anyone familiar with that? Is it worth listening to (I've listened to some scholars who made Nietzsche an Ayn Rand figure)? Is it OK for someone who has not much background in philosophy?

If anyone's interested I can upload that when I'm done. Thanks :)

I'm only familiar with a few of them (the intro lectures and Dasein), but that was back in January.

the quality isn't great compared to a lot of podcasts---go to learnoutloud.com and you'll find the lectures Berkeley share are usually better quality (in sound not content)

the extremely sparse notes I kept (I usually flesh them out when I give them another listen, but these are really rather old)...

(numbers are roughly how many minutes into the file that topic is addressed)

Hubert Dreyfus - Philosophy 185, Fall '02 - Heidegger - Being and Time
Link

Hubert Dreyfus - 08-27-02 - Heidegger - 3 - Intro II - part 1.mp3
2 < tools functions and properties
27.2 < being---'that on the basis of which entities are understood'

Hubert Dreyfus - 08-27-02 - Heidegger - 4 - Intro II - part 2.mp3
8.4 < 'understanding is to determine something as something'
13 < what Heidegger means by "understanding"
14 < 'ontic' has to do with beings, 'ontological' to do with ways of being
18 < a theory expresses principles that relates elements

Hubert Dreyfus - 08-27-02 - Heidegger - 5 - Dasein - part 1.mp3
3 < like water to a fish, we live in the sea of our understanding of being. The all pervasive is the hardest to understand---'dasein is ontically closest to itself, and ontologically farthest.'
10 < ontic
14 < preontological---an as yet unarticulated understanding (something not yet ontological)

Hubert Dreyfus - 08-27-02 - Heidegger - 6 - Dasein - part 2.mp3
5 < we understand ourselves in relation to what we deal with.
6 < dasein is always trying to understand being (as if a tendency to ontology is a part of intelligence---the curiousity to grasp the world so as to better 'be' in it)
29 < dasein is existence, which each human subject has as a part of the whole ontic nature in your existence.

If you search "The Teaching Company" on any competent p2p you'll find they have many lectures on Heidegger, most I really don't have notes on. (these aren't podcasts but proper professional recorderings. There is also a group called "The Modern Scholar" who release lecture series but I have found them to be quite pathetic and dogmatic)

The Teaching Company - Great Minds of the Western Intellectual Tradition

TTC - Great Minds -69- Heidegger - Dasein and Existenz.mp3
?? < Heidegger basics
8.3 < Being 'in' the world (a la Alan Watt's on 'the thinker is just one of the thoughts'. and a la another TTC lecture on language supposing subjects)
13 < moods 'depressed man in a depressed world'
25 < lol, ethics---fishing in the muddy waters of value

The Teaching Company - No Excuses: Existentialism and the Meaning of Life

TTC - Existentialism -16- Heidegger - the World & the Self.mp3
2.3 < 'being' is our fundamental experience
4 < to be engaged in the world. fundamentally we act because we value something in the world ('care')

095 - Heidegger on the World and the Self
1 < our status and roles, the caricature of oneselves in comparison to others
2.2 < if you weren't there, what would be missing? what is that 'you'?

The Teaching Company - Philosophy as a Guide to Living

TTC - PaaGtL -19- Heidegger on the Meaning of Meaning.mp3
02.39-06.05 < The authentic life is the one in pursuit of you true possibilities. We have to realize that our life is fleeting to comprehend it's true meaning.
10.11-10.38 < 'When you're born, well already you're old enough to die.' - Heidegger
21.57-23.59 < lol, *professor recites a joke questioning is this what philosophy has become, an asking of the hypothetical which does not concern us because we haven't found a way to talk about what does?*
23.59-26.22 < being 'in' the 'world', without subject and object.
26.30-27.28 < We have shared worlds of experience, but also our own separate world, and in an important sense we are alone, and we will eventually die. Heidegger thought "if we can get to understand better that aloneness that is a part of our existence we will better understand who we are." - Stephen A. Erickson
27.27-27.43 < "Heidegger believes that the 'who'---if we talk about 'who we are'---the who of our life in the world, is in large measure impersonal, it's determined by common and public opinion, and it's subject to the conventions of the day." - Stephen A. Erickson

Hubert Dreyfus is a Heidegger scholar, so naturally he knows the "ins and outs" of the latter's work. Whether or not he thinks along the path with Heidegger, or has secured an appropriate interpretation, is entirely another matter.