Drop A# mix

jval

Jan 16, 2009
ontario
Thought I'd post this out of boredom... here's a mix from an EP I did with a band that's tuned to drop A# with a low G (7 string). A real pain in the ass to get the right gtr and bass tone when tuned that low, not to mention keeping the guitar in tune. let me know if it's translating ok for you guys...

http://files.me.com/jvaleriote/33f6gi.mp3

Im more interested on your drum sound set up personally :) Any insight would be pretty awesome

gtr - the old standard setup... tubescreamer, 5150, mesa cab (2x12). Miked with a 57, API preamp, digi 192 into protools. I reamped during the mix. there's a touch of eq and compression on the guitars with the SSL channel plugin but it's very light. i don't like EQing guitars a lot, I'd rather reamp instead if i'm adding more than 2db somewhere. the guitar was a custom Carvin 7-string with some type of active pickup... i didn't really like the guitar much. The biggest string we could fit on was a 60 and that's too small for this tuning. Main guitar is just one left and one right... I never quad track.

drums - i use my own home made kick samples and usually use a combo of Slate and D4 snare samples. Decided to mix it up on this project though, I used the sneap snare combined with another snare I got from another user on this forum. not sure where it's from. had to eq both quite a bit for it to work though... toms are the original augmented by samples of his kit.

gtr - the old standard setup... tubescreamer, 5150, mesa cab (2x12). Miked with a 57, API preamp, digi 192 into protools. I reamped during the mix. there's a touch of eq and compression on the guitars with the SSL channel plugin but it's very light. i don't like EQing guitars a lot, I'd rather reamp instead if i'm adding more than 2db somewhere. the guitar was a custom Carvin 7-string with some type of active pickup... i didn't really like the guitar much. The biggest string we could fit on was a 60 and that's too small for this tuning. Main guitar is just one left and one right... I never quad track.

drums - i use my own home made kick samples and usually use a combo of Slate and D4 snare samples. Decided to mix it up on this project though, I used the sneap snare combined with another snare I got from another user on this forum. not sure where it's from. had to eq both quite a bit for it to work though... toms are the original augmented by samples of his kit.

How did you approach this mix as Drop A is a really awkward tuning at the easiest of times. I find it quite hard to control the low end most of the time and have to cut it out completely using a HP filter when i'd rather have it there in the mix.

Also you seem to be able to get alot of space and air into your mix while making it sound wide and exciting, kudos to being able to achieve this. Im looking forward to when I have managed to gain the same style of mix.

How did you approach this mix as Drop A is a really awkward tuning at the easiest of times. I find it quite hard to control the low end most of the time and have to cut it out completely using a HP filter when i'd rather have it there in the mix.

Also you seem to be able to get alot of space and air into your mix while making it sound wide and exciting, kudos to being able to achieve this. Im looking forward to when I have managed to gain the same style of mix.

I approached it pretty much the same as any other mix, this is the lowest tuning I've ever had to deal with so I had no pre-existing ideas. I think the most important part was making sure everything was tight and in tune during tracking or else it can get really messy. guitar tracking was super tedious on this stuff. I don't think I totally nailed it, it's not quite as punchy in the low end as some of my other stuff. I think it's cause I ended up using more gain on guitars than usual to get the upper harmonics since the fundamental isn't even there at this tuning. But who knows... I just mess with stuff till I think it sounds ok :headbang:
Troy Glessner mastered and he helped add some thickness to the low end.

i like the way the guitars swell outside of the vocal lines. How much compression did you have running on the master bus??

How you archive this thickness in the guitars by simple doing L and R takes?
I always struggle with that when I´m not quad-tracking.

Listened to your player on your homepage. Great work!!!

How you archive this thickness in the guitars by simple doing L and R takes?
I always struggle with that when I´m not quad-tracking.

Listened to your player on your homepage. Great work!!!

it's all about getting really tight takes!! it would add another week to any project if I were to quad track. as it is already, i only get a max of 2 songs done in a 10-12 hour day when tracking guitars... there simply isn't enough time. often 2 really tight, really in-tune takes will sound far better than 4 'decent' ones.