TheTechnogoat

Protean
Jun 20, 2005
Montreal
Dropkick Murphys - The Meanest of Times
Born & Bred Records - 18th September 2007
By Jack Deming

dropkickmurph.jpg

Here are well known Celtic punkers the Dropkick Murphys with their sixth studio release and the first through their own Born & Bred Records. The Meanest of Times is your standard time worn Dropkicks fare, a collection of mostly fast tunes made up of traditional Irish jigs, downstrumming, and yelled lyrics of laments and drunken nights, etc.

A few tracks are redone Irish standards, such as the antiwar tune 'Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya', and even better 'Flannigan's Ball'. Flannigan's Ball features guest vocals from Spider Stacy of The Pogues and Ronnie Drew of The Dubliners, and it is an unusual treat to hear Ronnie in what was presumably his last studio appearance before his death in 2008. Familiar Irish jigs and themes are also often thrown into otherwise original tunes. Particularly good is the ballad 'Fairmount View', which lifts its melody from the traditional tune 'Spancil Hill'. The material lacking traditional Irish hooks is on the whole much less interesting, and the group's once solid and identifiable punk sound seems watered down at times; 'God Willing' in particular sounds at times like a late eighties Ramones tune sped up a bit.

Like them or not, the Dropkick Murphys' sound has remained largely the same in the last twelve years, and even in their early days they were never plumbing the depths of ethnic and comparative musicality. By now these guys sound like butter spread over too much bread, and this is audible on The Meanest of Times. But hey, some people like their toast dry. The poor man's Flogging Molly if you ask me.

Official Dropkick Murphys Website
Official Dropkick Murphys Myspace
Warner Independent Label Group Website

Good band,not really sure what release to get but it seems like you can count on consistency.

Same with me and if you like Dropkick than you will like Flogging Molly alot.Flogging Molly is the same style of Dropkick Murphys celtic folk punk but even better than them and that saying a lot because I like the Murphys too.