Drum Editing / 5 days tracking

-Noodles-

3 Initals Mixer
Dec 20, 2007
Hey guys..

A quick, and probably obviously answered question..

When you're tracking an EP in 4 or 5 days, do you edit the drums during the nights of the tracking period? Or do you track everything to the click, and then edit post-tracking?

Cheers!

Thanks - thought so.
My question was if people edited as they tracked, or waited till everything was tracked.

But in this case, what would be your work flow:
- You record a drum take, for example, 1 minute long
- You stop the recording and begin editing your 20 drums tracks to the grid while the drummer is waiting??
- Once the take is perfect, you continue recording the next take and so on??

You could do it in between songs and let the drummer take a break perhaps?

that's what i do now. it sucks because the drummer/band just has to sit there for like an hour+, but, it is far, far, far, FAR superior to editing 10 songs all in one sitting. quality suffers, sanity suffers, lifespan suffers...

I can't do the "edit between songs" thing - track the drums as best as you can, edit them all (make the band take a day or two off if you have to; use that time to get them to go out and buy strings, picks, food for you, practice more to a click, etc), and then track the rest of the instruments to the edited drums.

I did 7 songs with my friends band over the weekend. Did it all in one sitting. I never want to slip edit ever again lol

That was the longest session I've ever done though- pretty sure that makes me a huge puss

17 year olds constantly nagging "WHEN CAN WE TRACK GUITARZ MAN" starts to wear on you after 8 hours

So far I've always recorded the band to a click and then done all the editing afterwards. Fucking hate it SO MUCH! As has been said, doing 10 songs of drum editing is not fun :(

I much prefer to edit each song (drums) after tracking that song.
But most of the time it doesnt work out because of time issues.

So what I do is this:
1. track drums the best way possible
2. if the drummer has problems with some parts (like fast double bass, triplets, blast beats, punk beats) I let the drummer try it out a couple out times but when it doesnt work out, we only track the hands (and I program with him the kicks)
3. I edit parts that are very important to be as tight as possible, directly after tracking that song.

I can't do the "edit between songs" thing - track the drums as best as you can, edit them all (make the band take a day or two off if you have to; use that time to get them to go out and buy strings, picks, food for you, practice more to a click, etc), and then track the rest of the instruments to the edited drums.

this is how i do it, too.

It sucks to do it in one sitting, sure, but it's more efficient, as far as the band is concerned, to just get the drums tracked for all the songs in the first place. Once you get going it goes by fairly quick anyway, usually an hour or so per-song is the average time. 10-15 (or so) hours for 10 songs of drums isn't all that bad really. What I do is just tell the band flat-out, I need a couple of days to edit the drums before we go any further, not really had any issues with that so far. The main thing here though is to get the drums edited before doing anything else, doesn't matter what way you go about it, just get them edited first, otherwise you will want to stick a knife in your face because of all the extra work you made for yourself.

It sucks to do it in one sitting, sure, but it's more efficient, as far as the band is concerned, to just get the drums tracked for all the songs in the first place. Once you get going it goes by fairly quick anyway, usually an hour or so per-song is the average time. 10-15 (or so) hours for 10 songs of drums isn't all that bad really. What I do is just tell the band flat-out, I need a couple of days to edit the drums before we go any further, not really had any issues with that so far. The main thing here though is to get the drums edited before doing anything else, doesn't matter what way you go about it, just get them edited first, otherwise you will want to stick a knife in your face because of all the extra work you made for yourself.

What I like about editing the drums after each track is that you don't end up editing on your own time. You edit while the the band is there in the studio which makes it "work time". Who cares if you don't get the drums tracked as fast? It takes however long it takes and if you are only doing 2-3 songs of drum tracking per day you will do a much better job of judging the performances than trying to do 12 songs in a day and editing all of it the next day.

Drum editing just seems so much less awful when you only have to edit one song at a time! Hehe...