Drum set for $800??

I don't recommend Pearl Export, they don't sound good. Taye drums sound pretty good for the money. But most important is learning to tune the drum heads properly. A lot of drums are built to be tuned fairly high, watch out for the "PVC pipe" sounding toms.

I don't recommend Pearl Export, they don't sound good. Taye drums sound pretty good for the money. But most important is learning to tune the drum heads properly. A lot of drums are built to be tuned fairly high, watch out for the "PVC pipe" sounding toms.

yeah, that's what I have heard about them also. If you were buying the set what would you offer the guy and OR for the money, what would you buy?

The Pearl export has been discontinued and replaced by two series around the same price (a little more) but much better woods. The Vision virch Series, and Export Custom which is maple. For the price they are actually really good sounding kits.

Also, any of the Mapex Pro M, or M Birch series. Around the same price as the Pearls - also really good quality. So that gives you some options. I think Mapex runs cooler shell packs.

One word of advise is don't look for combo kits with hardware and cymbals included. While you think you are getting a deal because you get a whole setup, the quality is really much less. Get the shell pack, and just add cymbals and hardware as your budget allows. A nice kit with only a few good quality cymbals sounds better than a cheap kit with more cheaper quality cymbals.

Wow, I never looked at it that way... now my options for a drumset here are blown open because the local drum shop will hook it up on a shell pack OR hardware, as in they will cut a deal on the shells if you buy hardware separately or vice versa.

~006

don't get the pearl export. my favorite drums to record are ludwig kits, i've never had and issues with them and you don't have to do to much (after tuning them) to get a great sound.

thanks for the heads up!

What would you suggest for a beginner/intermediate player on a budget of $850 for a shell pack?
Like I said, Pearl Vision Birch (VBX), or Export Custom Maple (MCX) or the Mapex Pro M (maple), or M Birch. As for which shell pack, really just depends on what kind of setup you want. They offer a few different options with different sizes. I'm currently a fan of smaller toms for fast metal stuff.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...e-Fusion-Plus-5Piece-Satin-Drumset?sku=447708

that looks like a great sounding standard 5 piece set. if you're interested in a bigger kit you may check out the mapex ones the others have suggested, those sound good as well, but lugwig is pretty legendary for their quality drum sound. a drumset is a pretty personal decision so just weigh out the pros and cons.

in my opinion, it's better to have a smaller good sounding kit than a massive junky kit. cause most of the time it's the shitty drummers carrying around those huge kits (unless they're actually a pro or endorsed) to over-compensate for what they wish they could do.

Yeah, that is true. Good point!

I will probably look into getting one of the Mapex set's mentioned unless something better comes across first.

I know Ludwig sets are awesome but are they any good for metal at all? All I've seen is people play rock/classical music with them.

I've heard PDP stuff is sweet - also, my vocalist (who's also a bitchin' drummer) just got a kit by Dixon Drums that he really likes; any of you guys know anything about 'em?

Here's a review he did for his kit (that's him playing and speaking), he went to all this trouble mostly because he wants an internship from them or their parent company (Kaman Music Corp., which owns a shitload of companies) :D

Last edited by a moderator: