Drum Rooms(tracking)

Grave Desire

Mar 10, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm tracking drums this weekend at the studio I've been interning at for a while now and I have a quick question here for you all.

Now I've read Oz's Acoustic drum tracking guide and have understood that he prefered a wood floor as compared to a floor with carpeting.

The question I had is the room I'm tracking in is all wood besides carpet along the edges. It's a very nice room with great acoustics, but most of the time I've seen the engineers put a rug or carpet piece down where the drummer is going to set up his kit. I've tracked like that before and haven't had much problems getting good tones, but for this session I really would like to try to get rid of the rug underneath his kit and see how it sounds. I would like a nice bright kit and from what I've read this will help. I know the best way to find out is to A/B and see which one I like the best. But all the drums have to be done in 8 hours and I don't really have the time to do that right now.

One thing I'm concerned with his the reflections off the ground if that will cause and phase or comb filtering problems with the sounds bouncing from the ground and back up into the mics. I'm not really keen on acoustics and I would like to hear your guys input if that ever is an issue or could be.

I'll be sure to put up samples of the sessions after I'm done.

thanks in advance

-dave

the reflection are the exact same reason, 'cause OZ likes the wooden floor.
wood reflects more broadband, instead of cutting highs like carpet, that makes the sound brighter.

low freqs aren't affected by carpeting, but that are exactly the freq that can cause combfiltering (or at least that's the problematic range, combfiltering occurs at any freq).

the reason most people lay carpet etc underneath the drums is to keep the drums from sliding across the floor.
perhaps not using carpet isn't even an option ..(ask the owner if he'd be cool with diggin' the kick's spikes into his wooden floor ;) )