home studio...1 room vs. separate tracking/control rooms

If you're buying the property, let me ask you this. Is there room in the future to build an addition to that space? You could do one room now (which I personally love to work in), and focus on making that room outstanding and intimate. Take advantage of the space to make the best room possible. Then later on, when you've made some money, reinvest into an additional control room if you decide that you want one. The only time I wish I had a dedicated control room is when sweeping a cab. Other than that, I don't miss the space I used to work out of. We had a really nice control room, and it always got in the way for a lot of things.

This is exactly what I would do. If you're even slightly experienced in construction work, it will be easier and cheaper than you might expect.

i'm a bit experienced in construction stuff...not an expert by any means, but i've done enough to be able to DYI most of what i want to do at this point

aaaaaaaaaaand, i work at a home improvement/hardware store, so i'll already be saving 10% on all of my materials :kickass:

my.php

there's an uber-rough sketch of what i'm thinking of so far...i'm sure it'll change in the months between now and then, though

This would be a good time to start spending a lot of time here.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

and Ethan has a lot of great information on the Real Traps site as well. Even if you end up doing DIY, it's a great resource as far as room demensions and calculations for the best acoustics.

http://www.realtraps.com/info.htm

If you really start looking into this stuff now, you won't have any regrets with what you do with the space. I would personally focus more on volume of the space, modes, standing waves, etc. when deciding rather to split it up at all, or how to split it up if that's what you decide. Download Modecalc and check your design plans against recommended ratios and cubic volume to try and get the best results out of your most informed decision.