Drum Trigger Purpose

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
I have roland triggers and use them sometimes. But to be honest i've gone back to just using microphones and triggering samples from them if needed. What are some of the reasons (other than bleed) that you guys you triggers instead of just mics. I find that when i use triggers and mics i end up spending time aligning shit. Just curious to some other peoples thoughts.

I'd use it to trigger gates. Just move the trigger tracks a few miliseconds earlier and sidechain your gate. Can be really useful to set the gate drastically without losing the transient. I heard that some blend the trigger signal (with disto?) with mic signal - for snare - but I've never tried that. I finally find myself not using triggers a lot when my goal is mainly sound replacing, I find easier to take the mic signal for that purpose too.

I find the sharper transient makes editing easier and is easier to trigger from due to less bleed. I just wish my triggers would stop breaking though!

Honestly, because of mistrigging and other shit due to trigger dysfunction, I find very easier to place a gate on a mic track before the sound replacement software (Slate Trigger in my case) just to tame the bleed if needed.

Gates + trigger can result in non-phase accurate sample tracks since trigger sometimes goes off when the gate opens and not when the transient is actually hit. A good trigger is perfect for editing/sample replacing, so invest in something like Rolands or the DDrum dual-shot redundant ones with the two piezo units.

Gates + trigger can result in non-phase accurate sample tracks since trigger sometimes goes off when the gate opens and not when the transient is actually hit.

Yes that's right but when I do that, I set the gate very "low". Anyway, it's not the best way to do :) But in all cases, I print the triggered track and check every hit.