Drum Triggering

Soultorn

The Pain and The Darkness
Aug 11, 2002
Willits, CA
www.soultorn.tk
I'd like to get some opinions and facts on this topic. I'm pretty clueless to the whole idea (and I'm sure that I'm not the only one), so it'd would be cool to hear some basics and biases on the subject.

I trigger my kick drums, and it makes all the difference when you play live. Triggering is here to stay, it's a necessary part of technology any serious drummer should look into. You're not going to get a great sound guy every time you play live, but with triggers and a good sound module, the bass drums will be heard and your hard earned foot technique will not be wasted and inaudbile. I was a purist for the longest time and just used wood beaters and metal discs on the drum heads, but it's still not the same. Unless you're a touring professional band with mics and a hired sound guy, what might sound good to you will not to the audience.

Triggering is not 'cheating' since you still have to play in time, and since the sound is very staccato and punchy, it's even more obvious when your feet get sloppy. What might be considered 'cheating' is you can get the sound module to trigger at the same velocity and volume for any hit on the head, loud or soft. That's just a part of life. Death metal drummers are not playing very loud when going hyper blur on the bass drums, it's just not possible. I don't trigger my toms or snare though, as I prefer to have more dynamic control over them.

My setup is very standard to most other working drummers. Alesis DM5 sound module using #8 (speed mtl) for the sound, ddrum bass drum triggers, and a BBE 482 sonic maximizer to balance out the trigger sound. You hand the sound guy a single 1/4" cord to run through the mains, and instant bomb kick drum sound.

Guitar Renter carries the triggers, and the brain you need to use for them to work... you'll also need a PA or some kind of amplification for them... so look to spend what, $500 or more to get it all set up and working...

My drummer uses them, as well as a few other DM drummers I know, and it makes all the difference.

MAN!:cry: i wish i could afford that stuff SO BAD!!!!! i have drummed almost since i was born but my small income limits my set!

The problem of triggering the bass drums is that sounds like a drum machine programmed by a synthetizer instead of real drums(Very weak sound).
I notice this effect , specially on professional drummers like Nick Barker, Pete Sandoval , Hellhammer and others...

Many of the drummers I know who use triggers also use AXIS kick pedals too...

Direct drive.... no chain.

Guess they're good for being fast and precise too.

Yeah.. Triggering isn't cheating. It's just good way to get really good sounds on every gig and in studio.

And I also like drum sound in Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. The bass drums sound awesome in my opinion and snare sound is really good too. Toms sound good as well, but they could also be better.

Some drummers like Hellhammer use really horrible sounds.. Hellhammer's toms sound like shit.. I don't understand why he uses those irritating sounds..

I would just like to say, on the subject of Hellhammer's drum sound, that on Refections of the I the drum sound is great! Everything sounds right. Well balanced and the trigger sound is excellent.

i admit that the use of triggers is not cheating , but please be more restrained.

i've just read about rolling your own MIDI drumkit by inserting transducer mics into the foam of Remo practice pads. my question is, what kind of module does the audio cable (from the pads) run into? anything else involved?