Drum Triggers and sampling

Jul 29, 2003
Denver, CO
www.anotheraccident.com
Okay, I'll keep this short and sweet.

Here's what we have:

* Drum trigger (don't ask me what brand, I have no idea what it is, and won't until next weekend)
* M-Box
* ProTools LE 6.1 for Mac OSX
* NS_Kit kickdrum .wav files

I want to make it so every time the drum trigger (fixed to the kickdrum) is hit, it plays a .wav file sample rather than taking the sound straight from the drum (sounds horrible, which is why I want to do this).

My question is... how would I go about doing this?

Note: The drum trigger is NOT a midi trigger.

Akronaes said:
Okay, I'll keep this short and sweet.

Here's what we have:

* Drum trigger (don't ask me what brand, I have no idea what it is, and won't until next weekend)
* M-Box
* ProTools LE 6.1 for Mac OSX
* NS_Kit kickdrum .wav files

I want to make it so every time the drum trigger (fixed to the kickdrum) is hit, it plays a .wav file sample rather than taking the sound straight from the drum (sounds horrible, which is why I want to do this).

My question is... how would I go about doing this?

You probably need a "brain" for your trigger. The trigger itself probably gets it's power from the brain itself as well, so the trigger may be useless without the brain. I am not a drummer so I'm not an expert on this, but I do know in home recording, trying to mic a drumset will make you pull your hair out and that goes for the snare, toms, cymbals and high hat as well. Triggers are the best option for maintaining the "human" sound while still being able to get a decent recording. Mixing acoustic and triggered sounds is also common.
One of the real advantages you have with the better triggers/brain is also the fact, they are analog as far as sound volume. The harder you kick/hit the drum, the louder the output the brain gives. I don't think you will be able to get by without using a brain unfortunately. :ill:

Bryant