Drum Verb: All drums to one aux or no?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
I've been reading some stuff that says it's a good idea to send all drums that are getting verb to the same verb aux, just with different send levels. What are your thoughts? It would certainly be easier to do it this way, and the stuff I've read says that it makes the drums sound like they are all in the same space...

Thats what I usually do, but layering verbs sometimes will help out a weak room sound. Sometimes a really short verb on room mics and a longer one on the snare and toms makes things seem a bit "bigger". I would just say to experiment with what you think sounds best.

I treat a reverb stereo aux track like a room mic almost, especially if i am in a less than amazing room or didn't track room mics. I actually like to "mimic" a room mic sending just the right amount of everything to an aux with a good room sound on it. Keep coming back to RVerb for some reason.

Sure, why not?

I use ReaVerberate in REAPER (I hear this one actually isn't very good, but it does the job for me) and normally I like to have a different instance of Verb for my snare (group) as well as toms (group) so I can set the verb length/decay etc for each as needed.

Yeah I HP/LP almost always. Just enough to get rid of the low end mud and give the verb it's own space in the upper mids. It's actually amazing what a difference this makes.

yes, this is one of the reasons i like Rverb, it has built in eq.

Again I treat it very similar to a room mic. I would generally roll off some highs, and play the lows by ear, no rules here. The eq is not as relevant with manually setting the levels of each send. Obviously you will probably not have hats and cymbals cranked or sent at all. It seems like you want a solid answer so I guess I would say my general guide line would be to send little to no overhead or cymbal mics to the Verb send. I would probably roll off most highs (say above 8k or so) and would probably roll off the lows until i hear the "power" going away and then slightly bring it back in until it fits. Sometimes im depending on this track to "beef" up my low end. Other times is just to help the drums sit in a "space".

Hope this helps.