Help Needed 100% Natural Drums - No Samples

Yea your snare will be in phase, but your stereo cymbal spread will be fucked. You'll need to find a happy medium between the two in order to get even separation.

The hat and ride will be the furthest points of the entire kit so you're wrong there. The snare will be in the middle too. The crashes will also be suitably wide. What I tend to do is point the mics away from the snare a tiiiny bit too. I spot mic the hat and ride and use a really tall mono overhead pointing directly at the snare too.

That diagram is purely for guidance and there are loads of ways to get a good overhead sound - but they usually start with having the snare in phase. If you really want to get into it - there is only so much width you'll get from your overheads anyway. Most of the time your high hat will bleed into the opposite overhead mic quite a lot anyway. This will reduce the stereo image of the kit. Same goes with toms - they're not going to be super wide. This is where your spot mics and close mics come in. Of course - as I always say - automate the shit out of everything. If the drummer is playing the hats then bring the hat mic up, pan it out a touch further (never 100 L or R though, dont be a n00b) and do the opposite to the ride mic. Everything supports the overheads in my mixes.

The hat and ride will be the furthest points of the entire kit so you're wrong there. The snare will be in the middle too. The crashes will also be suitably wide.

From the looks of the diagram, and based on this pretty common 5-piece setup, using the blue line, your going to have a ton of left crash in one OH, and next to no right crash (or ride) in the other. The right OH mic will be almost all floor tom.

use yo' ears, son!!!! fuck diagrams...... haaha..... that's the devil coming out in me.

if they sound amazing in the room..... you've fucked up somewhere... the biggest culprit as has been said, is most likely the OH's...