Drums/Bleed

QV

Apr 20, 2006
www.bartfrydrychowicz.com
I'm working ona project where I seem to be getting a lot of bleed on microphones - say snare/hhat or toms/cymbals etc... The thing is it seems the noise floor is the same as with some other recordings (doesn't seem to be any more bleed) but the hits just aren't there. I've tried bringing a compressor into the signal chanin but that just increased the noise floor... Has anyone ever tried an expander? if so, how would one set it up?
Also any suggestions on snare, tom, mic placement?

A compressor enhaces the noise coz it compresses the dynamics ... you got a lower signal to noise ratio (SNR) if you compress the signal.

That's expander does what you want but maybe you wanna use a good gate which just open at the hits on drums!

Another way is to edit the track and mute everything but the hits (use fade outs).. this is a bit work but maybe gives better results than a gate!

Highpass for overheads elimates most of kick...

And you can use sidechaining limiter compressor to get rid of for example snare bleed on OHs

yeah and you can maybe try to avoid bleeding with the recording technique

Do a search there are so many threads about bleeding drums and I guess even a dozen posts by andy himself!

Thanks guys... I asked a drummer who has lots of recording experience and the suggestions were to separate the snare from the toms as much as possible (lower it), lift the cymbals as much as possible etc. I'll try that today but the guy being recorded is not really comfortable with any changes to his kit. I'll also try switching to c418s on the snare/toms as opposed to 57s... Good idea about gating settings, thanks again!

Torniojaws said:
Or even simpler - just record all cymbals and all drums in separate takes.
That is anything but simpler.

I've gotten into a combo of expanders and fader riding lately...sometimes strip silence on toms if it doesn't sound too 'wrong.'
Certainly minimizing bleed by moving mics and drums/cymbals (if the drummer will let you) is going to make your life much easier later.

egan. said:
Apparently that is what Machine did w/ LOG and 18 visions.

I think he meant the part about it being simpler, I only know a few drummers who can play the drums and cymbals separately. I find it works best if you use pads in place of the drums when recording cymbals and use rubber practice dampers on the cymbals when recording drums.

I guess the easiest way to "sell" that concept to a drummer whose ego got out of joint would be to pose it as a challenge to them. Chances are, they can't do it, but maybe worth a shot.

sparkyness said:
I guess the easiest way to "sell" that concept to a drummer whose ego got out of joint would be to pose it as a challenge to them. Chances are, they can't do it, but maybe worth a shot.

Just tell them that's what John Bonham did, that usually convinces most drummers.

You'd probably have to move the kit into the toilet though for it to be "authentic"....that's where he recorded half of his stuff :)

"now we'll put your kit in the crapper and your cymbals in the kitchen, just like Bonham".....

QV said:
I'm working ona project where I seem to be getting a lot of bleed on microphones - say snare/hhat or toms/cymbals etc... The thing is it seems the noise floor is the same as with some other recordings (doesn't seem to be any more bleed) but the hits just aren't there. I've tried bringing a compressor into the signal chanin but that just increased the noise floor... Has anyone ever tried an expander? if so, how would one set it up?
Also any suggestions on snare, tom, mic placement?

i used to work with an expander on the snare and it helps a lot to get rid of some noise, but it still is there and gets louder again when compressing the snare! i don't like using gates on the snare, even if you trigger them and they open correctly, because the cymbals bark in and out of the gate too drastic for my ears and it sounds fake to me.

the best thing is to seperate the snare with mic placement and the correct mic!!