Drums..compression ratios?

My ratios vary a lot depending on the genre, but my ratio usually ends up at around 4:1 on toms and snare. Snare might get a bit more if I really want it to SMACK, same with metal kick. I'm quite new to compressing overheads so I don't have any tips there, would any of you other guys mention what you do to overheads?

Attack is crucial, I usually end up at between 10 and 30 ms on most aggressive drums, release depends on the decay of the drum and the tempo of the song. At the moment I prefer to have my attack settings a little bit slower than 10ms, maybe around 20-25, but I'm only using ITB compressors. I've noticed that my attack settings also vary a bit with how much I compress the drum, especially on snare. If I use less compression I often use faster attack times, while I've found that reasonably fast(10ms) attack times don't work that well if I'm compressing the shit out of a snare drum.

4:1 or 5:1 for metal snares.
I prefer not to compress my kicks and instead go with parallel comp only (6:1). Gclip at the kick's master aux.

Edit: Depends on the kick's source though.

I mostly use fixed-attack comps on drums. Started with the SSL channel, which basically has a 'slow attack' that is program-dependent, now moved onto the DBX 160VU which has preset 'drum-friendly' curves.

Just curious, what do you estimate the attack time is on the 160?

The thing that finally helped me really understand compression was something I read in a book called Mixing With Your Mind. It can be hard to hear what a compressor is really doing until you know what you're listening for. The best way to hear what your comps are really doing is to get extreme as hell with your settings to where the changes are noticeable. Once you can hear what's happening it'll be a lot easier to apply these properties in a more subtle way. Set your ratio as high as it will go. Set your Release as fast as it can go and then lower the threshold a bunch. It's going to be pumping like crazy. While this is going on you can mess with the attack and see how it affects your signal. Since your settings are so extreme you'll really be able to hear what the attack sounds like and what it's really doing. This also really helps you hear how thin or thick your attack settings can relate to your source. Then you can play with the release time to see what it does in relation to the attack. This is also a good way to decide on attack and release settings as once you've got the characteristic you want out of your attack and release then you can adjust threshold and ratio to match the sound you were aiming for all along.

@OP: too many variables. I usually just loop one bar and adjust the compressor so that it sounds good, starting with 4:1 ratio and minimal attack and medium release with threshold that is snatching about 6-12dB gain reduction, then I slowly open up the attack until it doesn't sound like dead shit and then adjust the other variables.

Honestly it feels like it varies based on how hard you're hitting the source, and with what ratio. It's more than enough to let the initial transient pop through. My guess is somewhere from 10 to 20ms, without being able to boot the unit up right now.

http://www.dbxpro.com/160A/specs.php

Attack Time: Program dependent; typically 15ms for 10dB, 5ms for 20dB, 3ms for 30dB

Release Time:program Dependent; Typically 8ms for 1dB, 80ms for 10dB, 400ms for 50dB; 125dB/sec rate

the ratio doesn't have that much of an effect on the sound, just the level. Set it to 4:1 and mess with the attack and release times.

The thing that finally helped me really understand compression was something I read in a book called Mixing With Your Mind. It can be hard to hear what a compressor is really doing until you know what you're listening for. The best way to hear what your comps are really doing is to get extreme as hell with your settings to where the changes are noticeable. Once you can hear what's happening it'll be a lot easier to apply these properties in a more subtle way. Set your ratio as high as it will go. Set your Release as fast as it can go and then lower the threshold a bunch. It's going to be pumping like crazy. While this is going on you can mess with the attack and see how it affects your signal. Since your settings are so extreme you'll really be able to hear what the attack sounds like and what it's really doing. This also really helps you hear how thin or thick your attack settings can relate to your source. Then you can play with the release time to see what it does in relation to the attack. This is also a good way to decide on attack and release settings as once you've got the characteristic you want out of your attack and release then you can adjust threshold and ratio to match the sound you were aiming for all along.

this IS simple but GOOD advice;)