Dual Rec effects loop

Jun 30, 2005
Devon, England
Just got my eq pedal, so i'm using the effects loop for the first time. Switching it on at the back has made the amp noisy as hell, white noise amongst other noise and thats even without the pedal plugged in. whats up with that? any ideas ?

Update: Just fiddling at the back and turned the vacuum/diode switch from diode to vacuum and the noise stopped, the bold/spongy switch also effected the noise when i switched between the two. Upon switching the amp back to silicon diode, the amp has now shut itself off. Looked at the fuse in the amp, seems it has blown. But the question is, why has it blown? something serious i feel. As some of you may know, i was running 8ohm into a 4ohm cabinet for a while until i realised it was dangerously mismatched. Perhaps ive damaged something. Again, any ideas ?

I've blown a fuse before too when switching between the silicon diode/vacuum tube and the bold/spongy settings. I never figured out why it blew or what exactly happened. The amp repair dude told me it was a huge problem but I bought 2 new fuses and finished recording guitar that day and it's never happened again. If you have a jank fuse though, use spongy/and vacuum tubes if you have a 4AMP SLO BLO fuse you can use the silicon diode/bold settings and it should never blow. I ran my head into a mismatched cabinet before too and that was never an issue for me.

As far as the noise on the effects loop goes maybe try this. Usually when I'm using the loop I just leave the send and mix on 11:00 - 2:00 (in the normal range) and if I lose and volume just turn up the amp.

There's some stuff in the manual about the effects loop and if you're getting a lot of noise there is a part about diagnosing tube problems too.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

Later!