Rack fx processor for live high gain playing has a good noise gate to use in fx loop?

spycam

Ruination
Sep 12, 2006
www.ruination.lt
I'm about to shop for a good sounding rack guitar fx processor to use in FX Loop of my ENGL Se amp head.
I believe that all modern fx processors have decent chorus, flanger, delay and similar effects, what i'm looking for is the unit that won't color the tone by making it sterile digital sounding (why would i be having a good tube amp head if the end tone is still like with using digital processors?)
On the other hand i need a rock solid noise gate to gate down the high gain metal noise between the playing.
I currently used my Zoom G9.2tt in the serial FX loop of the ENGL and it sounds OK with clean channel (chorus/delay kind of fx), but when i turn the high gain lead channels the noise gate of this Zoom is worthless, as noise gate of Engl SE too, they just don't distinguish the playing from high gain amp noise in pauses of playing.

So, what would you suggest as a rack fx processor with midi patch switching possibility with midi footswitch through my Engl's midi, a natural/analog sounding tone and very good noise gate capable of making sharp silence in small pauses of a groovy high gain metal riffing?

I heard that Rocktron Xpression is a nice unit having analog out setting but its hush noise gate has to have digital signal selected and it's useless to fight high gain metal tone noise..

I heard that G-Major digitizes the tone a lot making it stelire and not warm, but didn't hear about it's noise gate.

Maybe noise gate does not work at all when it's in FX loop of the amp?
So what do you say?

Noisegates for this purpose work best infront of the amp - it acts more like an automatic volumeknob roll-off when you stop playing, to kill feedback and 'idle pickup' noise.

I'd save up a bit more and snag the G-Force, if possible. If not, I'd go with the Xpression.

It really should (although I haven't used it, but everybody loves the Decimator and on the paper it looks awesome, a must buy for me). And if it doesn't then I would question your playing: are your noises louder than your picking? ;)

$1500 ahahahahahhahaha...SO many other things I could spend that kinda money on; honestly, in a live setting, with all that noise and such, who is really gonna notice if a chorus sounds more lush or delay more full? Or to put it another way, is it really worth spending $1200 more than a Rocktron Xpression for those qualitative differences? Methinks not...(and the fact that the Xpression can phantom-power a MIDI board and doesn't have the reliability issues is why I'm going for it over the G-Major)

$1500 ahahahahahhahaha...SO many other things I could spend that kinda money on; honestly, in a live setting, with all that noise and such, who is really gonna notice if a chorus sounds more lush or delay more full? Or to put it another way, is it really worth spending $1200 more than a Rocktron Xpression for those qualitative differences? Methinks not...(and the fact that the Xpression can phantom-power a MIDI board and doesn't have the reliability issues is why I'm going for it over the G-Major)
I have an as new xpression I'm selling for $150 + shipping if your interested

If you are EU based, i would consider buying the Xpression, otherwise, it's not worth to pay the customs, VAT and other bullshit extra and have pain in the ass to spend time doing that.

I think that ISP Decimator rack unit in the serial loop and Xpression in paralel loop would be the setup for me, just one question: will my midi footswitch (which i run to switch my ENGL SE's channels and patches) be able to switch Xpression's patches too if i plug the midi cable to Engl's midi through and Xpression's midi in?

Yeah...unfortunately, I have expensive ears. :(

molded: do you mean that SKB case? I like the idea of that cheap bag that there are zips on both sides so i don't need to take off the racks from it and can just unzip and start using

I'd recommend getting a 3- or 4- space rack, cuz you'll definitely need a power conditioner, which will take up one spot, and it's always nice to have a free slot just in case you wanna expand in the future

As far as noise gates go, the best I've used is on the Shure ULX wireless. It really makes 5150's behave. Bands we play with are really surprised at the settings we can get away with on the heads.