Dual Rec, Orange Rockerverb, all natural drums

I love the size of the room you've put the listener in. Everything sounds in balance. Drums are clear as a bell. Not crazy about the snare sound but that's just a matter of taste. Was this all mixed ITB?

I love the size of the room you've put the listener in. Everything sounds in balance. Drums are clear as a bell. Not crazy about the snare sound but that's just a matter of taste. Was this all mixed ITB?

Thanks!

Most of the actual mixing was done ITB, but tons of outboard was used during tracking. Over 100 tracks in this project.

I really like this. Awesome vibe. The snare works well but is a bit tubby. I also think the bass could be better. It sounds too much like a scooped DI. Personally I'd go for an almost-distorted, kinda dull sound like this, but that's just me:

Also the guitars are a bit muddy.. kinda adds to it but I think highpassing them a bit higher would let the bass come through a lot more.

I also think you should ride the rooms up in the really slow bits. Or a loudish verb with a long predelay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like this. Awesome vibe. The snare works well but is a bit tubby. I also think the bass could be better. It sounds too much like a scooped DI. Personally I'd go for an almost-distorted, kinda dull sound like this, but that's just me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDiC83Usn2s

Also the guitars are a bit muddy.. kinda adds to it but I think highpassing them a bit higher would let the bass come through a lot more.

I also think you should ride the rooms up in the really slow bits. Or a loudish verb with a long predelay.

I'm not too sure about the bass during the first verse...I'm happy with it the remainder of the song, though. That's the only part of the song where there's not much distortion/grit going on and I def think it should be a bit darker.

I agree about the snare being a bit tubby.

I think what's muddying up the guitars is a Big Muff>Orange track...although we are going for a bit of a muddy sound.

I agree with the room needing to come up on the slow bits. We did increase it, but in the mix it's hard to really notice.

Thanks a lot for listening and for the comments! We do final mix tweaks in a about 2 weeks, so I'd like to get as many opinions as possible till then.

I think the sound is great! But i'd like a really dynamic feel when the song "hit's the listener to face" now it's kinda just tellin that "this part should be aggressive" but doesn't pump in to your face too much, id double some guitars and vocals to boost 'em up. But the silent standby hunter crawling sound works as hell! :D