Dual Recto Loop Setting

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
Are you guys recording Dual Rectifiers with the effect loop turned on? Or bypassed?

It seems to help tame the low end and fizz a bit if it's turned on with the channel master turned up higher (around noon), but I can't decide if it cuts the low end too much...

What do you guys do?

Thanks.

Good question man, though either live or in the studio I bypass. Just seems sensible to me to run the amp with the pre/post config that mesa engineering decided as standard. I personally find the loop a little annoying in that repect.

If you wanna tighten (not neccesarrily tame) the low end on the boogie search the forum for the use of tube screamers with high gain configs. If you run the dual rec at anything over 9'oclock red channel master i cant imagine fizz being an issue with good mic placement.

Steve, I did some tests with my 2 ch. before selling it to a certain poster right above me :D And I found that at high volumes there was a slight difference for the better in the sound with the loop disengaged, but it was pretty much non-existent at levels under DEADLY (meaning, with the master below 9 o'clock with the loop bypassed, 2 ch. owners know this is still bowel-movingly loud! :heh: ) So because of neighbors/parents, I actually often kept the loop select knob on "external switch" for most casual recordings so I could have more fine tuning control over the volume via the "loop active master", and only disabled the loop and let it roar for the serious stuff :headbang:

Haha, didn't mean to imply the 3 channels were wimpier, I just wasn't sure if they made the master volume knob a little more gradual when they updated the design!

Hmm not sure, mines' like *no volume.....bedroom loud....STADIUM LOUD!* There is only that little bit inbetween bedroom loud and no volume where its just some top end sizzle coming through, then it blows ones balls into inverted positions at rapid velocity.

I basically turn my 'output' knob on full (which renders my 'solo' knob useless but whatever) and I find it gives me the smoothest tone. I've experimented with having my output at around halfway and having the master on the channel being way louder, bit it is a lot grainier and has a lot more fizz, but maybe I should experiment more.

When my output is full, my master volumes on my channels work as 'The Shred' described! :lol: The change in volume in such a small turning space is insane!

Thanks for the comments, everyone. LOL. Yeah, I played a few different Rectifiers last week, and a couple of them had the huge volume jump. So yeah, for house friendly levels, you pretty much need to use the loop master. :D