YT: Dual Rectifier / Axe Fx comparison

^ Can I ask a question, just out of curiosity. When people say, they want the versatility of the AXE, that's all fine and good., But HOW MUCH versatility do you need?
I have in my rig essentially - TS -> Amp -> Effects unit.
And I can pretty much nail all the tones in my head and want I want for my playing. If I was playing covers, MAYBE I would go for an AXE or pod, but then again, just a few effects patches would set me up just.
I personally think every venue should have 2 axes in house for the sole reason of making life easy :p But apart from that, I just see it as another tool which is never going to replace anything, but instead be used as it should, a tool built for a purpose :)

^ Can I ask a question, just out of curiosity. When people say, they want the versatility of the AXE, that's all fine and good., But HOW MUCH versatility do you need?
I have in my rig essentially - TS -> Amp -> Effects unit.

Are you missing cab -> mic? For me this is the problem, plus you need to and a re-amp box in there. Apart from there being no practical way form me to drive a cab at a level that will sound good, for the same money as an Axe-fx I'd fall short of one amp, cab, and re-amp box.

I personally think every venue should have 2 axes in house for the sole reason of making life easy

I love it! Let's make it compulsory!

Sorry! No I DO have a cab/ mic!

I just mean that, with the money I spent, it's probably a little more expensive than the axe. But IMO, I have all the versatility I need etc, and I love the tone of my amp.
Now, how many metal heads are going out and getting AXE FX for a signle tone? I think that's more my question.
Do people who want a 5150 tone and live use go for just that, or are people more inclined to shell out for the axe because of portability???

Cheers :)

Sorry! No I DO have a cab/ mic!

I just mean that, with the money I spent, it's probably a little more expensive than the axe. But IMO, I have all the versatility I need etc, and I love the tone of my amp.
Now, how many metal heads are going out and getting AXE FX for a signle tone? I think that's more my question.
Do people who want a 5150 tone and live use go for just that, or are people more inclined to shell out for the axe because of portability???

Cheers :)

Now that the Aussies have completely hi-jacked the thread.... :lol:

I guess I'm speaking out of turn because I don't own an Axe-FX and I'm not touring. Like I said I'm only basing my assumptions on the research I've done and what appeals to me. I agree with you, if you can nail "that sound" whatever "that sound" happens to be for you then yeah, you're probably not going to use a lot of sounds. I think as a live rig portability is probably pretty important plus reliability and the ability to plug straight into front of house is appealing.

All of those are great selling points but for me I haven't made the jump because I haven't heard the Axe-fx produce the sound that I'm looking for. You can trial them for 15 days, when I get time (and find that much scratch) I think I'll give it ago.

^^
True true
But that's why I'd like to actually here it THROUGH a power amp/ cab without the lifeless impulse :)

Yeah I'm not sure about that. I'd love to test it out for my self with a tube amp because...

I made an impulse when I first learnt about them, with my randall amp/cab. I couldn't tell the difference between the 2. I recorded the line out at the same time I recorded the mic... applied the impulse to the line out and it sounded exactly the same.

But that's solid state everything....

Whats really interesting about this clip is listening to it and not watching the video. Makes telling the difference a lot harder, I thought I had it nailed, and was like "oh thats definitely the recto" turns out it was the axe fx.... maybe my ears are broken lol!

Gotta get this to us in Dropbox form in wav file format dude.
Youtube seems to kill the audio quality a bit.
But nonetheless, killer chops as usual and a great test

Nice comparison. Thanks! The real Mesa definitely sounds fuller and more beefy. The Axe-FX has a bit of a hollow sound with the trademark squelch in the upper mids. Seems to be lacking the low-mid content essential for the Recto growl. Both sound good, though.

+1

Both sound badass and quite close but i have a slight preference for the recto (more attitude, crunch, growl, clarity/definition, MEANness IMO).

It's funny to go between here and Sevenstring.org and see opposite reactions.

Here: Recto sounds better, meatier etc,

SS: Axe sounds better, more mids and less fizz etc.

:lol:

I've had another good listen tonight and I've got to say that IMO they're more than just a little different. There are parts of the song where Axe-fx holds up but on the whole the real thing is a lot better. Every time the Axe-fx kicks in I think "yeah this is pretty dam good" but when it switches back it's like "wow, now your talking". I wonder how much more you can get for the Axe-fx with a little tweaking.

The thing that concerns me the most is that the sound that I don't like from the axe-fx I'm hearing in most clips. This clip is about the best I've heard.The axe-fx solves a lot of logistics problems for me, if I had the cash I'd be in for sure.