Real amp vs Kemper vs Axe FX vs Pod

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
Disclaimer: take this comparison with a grain of salt!

This can only be a rough guide to give you an idea about how accurate the rectifier amp+cab models are on each of these units, it's not about "better" or "worse".
Also bear in mind that the POD and Axe FX in this video are not the latest models!

Setup:
I used a 2ch Mesa Rectifier through the matching cab, miked with a single sm57.
I then used the model of the same amp, cab and mic from each of the modelling amps.
I started from the same settings but tweaked them (bass, middle, treble, presence) to get as close as possible to the sound of the real amp.

The rectifier is a bright amp with a lot of presence sizzle going on, the POD and Axe FX Standard are rather dark and muffled sounding, so in order to get the same kind of high end sizzle I had to raise the presence and treble, those dials don't act exactly like the pots on the real amp though, so raising the presence also raises a lot of fizz that's not as prominent in the real amp.
So the question was "do I try to make each unit sound as good as possible, or do I try to make it sound as accurate to the real amp as possible"?
I went with the latter, so the result might not necessarily be the best possible sound from the unit, so don't fall into that "better-worse-trap", this comparison was really just done to see how close the units get to the real amp and cab without using any post processing.

Also bear in mind that the Axe FX II is much brighter and more open sounding, so that dark/muffled quality of the AFX Standard won't be as much a problem with the AFXII anymore.
I'd expect the new version of the axe FXII and also of the POD to sound much closer to the real amp than these older versions....
So take this comparison with a grain of salt, use it for what it was intended and don't get butthurt over it.
:)

Reactions: ViTAR and rahnvu
the axe fx 2 with the latest firmware sounds way better. the old one in your video sucks... :-D you can match with the axe fx too; that would be an interesting comparison; as you could mimic that behavior of the kemper.

Real amp is best.
Kemper is very close but misses a bit of speaker excursion that the real amp has.
Axe-fx has static resonance in high mids and so does the pod. Both are pretty crap in my opinion.
Great test.