Axe-fx vs Triple rectifier(clip)

I really need to try one out through a proper amp/cab. Is it not awesome through the Recto's power section?

I don't like them when run direct, but my AC30/Plexi/Cornford/Recto/XTC/Orange/CAE GAS is just ridiculous, and I'm *almost* convinced that it could solve it through a proper poweramp/cab.

I really need to try one out through a proper amp/cab. Is it not awesome through the Recto's power section?

I don't like them when run direct, but my AC30/Plexi/Cornford/Recto/XTC/Orange/CAE GAS is just ridiculous, and I'm *almost* convinced that it could solve it through a proper poweramp/cab.

Haven't tried it trough Mesa's power section yet but I'd imagine it sounding quite same that way as well. The thing with Axe is that it has so much tweaking options that in addition of copying the sound of a well known amps it's possible to create something unique and that's what makes it worthy it's price for me. And Fractal audio gives 14 day money back so feel free to try one and send it back if you don't like it.

^^I did that once, two years ago, back when they only had Firmware 5.something available. Was really unimpressed, but they've made leaps and bounds since then.

The other thing I'm worried about is when it's going to become obsolete - even the Ultra wasn't incredibly cutting-edge as far as DSP power goes when it came out 4-5 years ago. Shouldn't they be due for a new model about now?

Really great comparison, thx for this. I´ve listend to it, when you opened this thread, but i couldn´t decide which is the recto and which the axefx. I first thought, that the first one is the AxeFx, because it´s a bit clearer and less "cloudy" as the 2nd clip, so i´m quite suprised about the result. I´d only go for an AxeFx, if i´d need all the stuff it has. Would be great if they´d offer a unit only with amp models....

Regards

Uhm, is there a difference? I thought I heard it, but only because it was pointed out it should be there. Had I heard this without ANY information, I would not have realised it was two different things.

Honestly, this "difference" in sound is so small a pack of strings makes a bigger difference

I think he nailed the tone for the most part and with the backing track you can't hear the subtleties, but if you are having a hard time hearing the big difference, listen for the palm muted part.. thats where there is a clear change in tone, the palmmuted characteristics aren't alike at all. I don't have an axefx or a tri rec, but I'd be happy with either of these tones, though I do prefer the first.

I think he nailed the tone for the most part and with the backing track you can't hear the subtleties, but if you are having a hard time hearing the big difference, listen for the palm muted part.. thats where there is a clear change in tone, the palmmuted characteristics aren't alike at all. I don't have an axefx or a tri rec, but I'd be happy with either of these tones, though I do prefer the first.

That's right, the attack is a bit different but this could be due to bad monkey vs. modelled TS in axe-fx.

hey man nice work; question:

Did you turn the sag off or put it on the "poweramp section on no thump" (or som like that lol)

I tend to use the latter when in conjunction with one of my heads at home (so not sure on high volumes if i will prefer to turn the sag off completelly tho.

Would love to hear some kind of melodeath/thrash riffs through one of these mic'd up, maybe 5150 or JCM800 models - any chance you could sort that? I can even provide DI's :).

You mean your Roseofsharyn DI?
I did a quick clip with the 5150model of Axe-fx with the same rig. I don't have the amp so I can't compare but maybe you could tell me is there similarities to tone?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4176454/Roseofsharyn_Axe-fx_5150.wav

Damn that sounds close! Going to start messing with my axefx through my 6505+ power section, see what I come up with. Here is a reamp of ROS I did sometime back with the axefx, running direct in. Its Newrecto... sounds like it has a little more gain than yours, not as tight on the attack or something. But I think it sounds pretty good for running direct!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6774846/ROS DI reamp.mp3

Damn that sounds close! Going to start messing with my axefx through my 6505+ power section, see what I come up with. Here is a reamp of ROS I did sometime back with the axefx, running direct in. Its Newrecto... sounds like it has a little more gain than yours, not as tight on the attack or something. But I think it sounds pretty good for running direct!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6774846/ROS DI reamp.mp3

Yeah sounds good, what impulse did you use?

Yeah sounds good, what impulse did you use?

Hmmm I forget... I think some redwire blend: mesa v30's/Uberkab t75's if I'm not mistaken. Just got a V30 for my 6505+ 1/12 combo... its sounds SOOO good!! Its sounds way better than a Krank rev jr pro I had and for a lot less cash. Now going to start testing out the Axefx as a preamp.

You mean your Roseofsharyn DI?
I did a quick clip with the 5150model of Axe-fx with the same rig. I don't have the amp so I can't compare but maybe you could tell me is there similarities to tone?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4176454/Roseofsharyn_Axe-fx_5150.wav

Yeah that works, I have some others but this is a good litmus test.

It's got a bit too much of that "AxeFX" djent-y pick attack for my tastes but with the speaker movement it's actually not too bad, almost Plexi-ish in that sense.

GAS is rising...

*edit* Listening more... that sounds badass. Really cool, only slightly djenty but that could be due to a lot of things!

Holy crap! I would never have noticed any difference unless you pointed it out. And even then, the difference is miniscule. I actually like the Axe more LOL, sounds a tiny bit more lively or open in the high mids, but just barely.