Kemper and Axe-fx recto challenge

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
I spent a couple of hours yesterday cleaning all the pots and jack contacts on my Triple Recto and it is sounding super. (can't believe I was going to trade it last week)

I have been following all the axe-fx and kemper threads with great interest but the sounds always seem a bit 2d to me.
Then on the Kemper thread people started discussing what's missing from both.
Speakers pushing air!
Here is a re-amp of Jeff's ROS DIs with the recto loud, really moving air.
My challenge to the Axe-fx and Kemper users is to post a Recto re-amp that has the punch of this clip, specifically the palm mutes pushing air and "jumping" forward.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/Recto!.mp3

Chain is TC Electronic BMC-2 DAC>TS808> Triple Recto 3 modern, silicon bold>Recto OS cab>E906 and 421 on different cones>API pres.
Post eq is hi pass 100, lo pass 12k and notches at 4k and 550.
I am not trying to prove a point here but am genuinely interested if the 2 current kings of the sims can pull this off.
Also, out of interest, can the Kemper profile a dual mic setup like this ?

This thread is very interesting to me because I've been going back and forth on selling my Kemper for a Dual rec or 6505 and a 4x12 recto cab. Would love to hear others chime in on this.

Here are some ROS clip's with Ola's Triple Rectifier Tight profile, the 1st one is straight Ola's profile and the other has a little more gain and some tweaking of the eq.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6774846/ola's Triple Rectifier Tight.mp3

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6774846/ola Triple Rectifier Tight 4.mp3

The Kemper can pull off a multi mic setup, running the mic's into a mixer before the input on the kemper.

Thanks for posting.
That's absolutely 1 nil to the real recto for me.
On your clips I can't hear any difference to the dynamics when the the palm mutes should be pushing air.
I can also hear a static SSHHH in the high mids that's obscuring the clarity of the cymbals (but that could be sorted with eq).
I am at the studio at the moment listening on Focal Twins so maybe the difference wouldn't be as apparent on normal speakers or headphones.

This is the first thing I did, when I got my Kemper, to test it's SPDIF re-amping capability.
It's an Orange Thunderverb profile w/ Green Scream (TS-808) for the main rhythm tracks and an EVH 5150 III profile for the quad tracks.
Both are free profiles from TheAmpFactory RigPack v2. The cleans and leads are the TriAxis Clean and TriAxis Lead profiles from Rig Exchange.

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/zv0d2ietgaj9tdv/Rose Of Sharyn KPA.mp3

As Jeff mentioned earlier, it really depends on the profile. I find that experimenting with different cabinets gets me very close to the tone I want, very fast.

EDIT: I just realized that you asked for a comparison with Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier profiles only. My bad!

I'll have a go at this later today, it'll be totally up to the profile and not the unit. If you profiled that same setup it would absolutely have the same punch and dynamic response.

Can't wait to hear it! Please convince me to keep it. The Amp Factory (Metal Producers Pack) profiles have a lot of punch, but I really can't find a tone I like from them.

Can't wait to hear it! Please convince me to keep it. The Amp Factory (Metal Producers Pack) profiles have a lot of punch, but I really can't find a tone I like from them.

I don't like any of those unless you change the cabinet - my favorite profiles period so far have been my own personal 5150/JVM profiles, the ILM profiles, and Sacha's profiles, but most with the cab swapped out for the original 6505 TAF cabinet.

This is the first thing I did, when I got my Kemper, to test it's SPDIF re-amping capability.
It's an Orange Thunderverb profile w/ Green Scream (TS-808) for the main rhythm tracks and an EVH 5150 III profile for the quad tracks.
Both are free profiles from TheAmpFactory RigPack v2. The cleans and leads are the TriAxis Clean and TriAxis Lead profiles from Rig Exchange.

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/zv0d2ietgaj9tdv/Rose Of Sharyn KPA.mp3

As Jeff mentioned earlier, it really depends on the profile. I find that experimenting with different cabinets gets me very close to the tone I want, very fast.

EDIT: I just realized that you asked for a comparison with Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier profiles only. My bad!
Good tone but still not feeling any "pressure" from the palm mutes.

I'll have a go at this later today, it'll be totally up to the profile and not the unit. If you profiled that same setup it would absolutely have the same punch and dynamic response.
Is there any possible way to record the sound that the Kemper sends out, send it to me so I can feed it to my Recto and record it back in then you can send my file back into the Kemper. I have no idea if this can be done.
Also Jeff, as I asked earlier, is it possible to profile the combination of 2 mics with the Kemper. I suppose you could do it by running the mics into a mixer and sending an aux mix back to the Kemper.
I really am intrigued by this new tech but (as you can see) I'm very sceptical if it can match a real amp when it comes to dynamics.

Good tone but still not feeling any "pressure" from the palm mutes.

Is there any possible way to record the sound that the Kemper sends out, send it to me so I can feed it to my Recto and record it back in then you can send my file back into the Kemper. I have no idea if this can be done.
Also Jeff, as I asked earlier, is it possible to profile the combination of 2 mics with the Kemper. I suppose you could do it by running the mics into a mixer and sending an aux mix back to the Kemper.
I really am intrigued by this new tech but (as you can see) I'm very sceptical if it can match a real amp when it comes to dynamics.

I wonder if you could hit play and profile simultaneously and trick the kemper? So even if you didn't have a kemper with you, you could get a snapshot of the rig and profile it later with a kemper. Just think of the possibility's if you could send the tone to any person that reamps and pay them to reamp the signal for you.

You can't profile from afar, I've already considered that and wish it worked but the KPA needs to hear the signal in real time and stops profiling if things aren't exactly as they should be.

Yes, it can do multi-mic and even multi-amp setups. You just need to route a summed mono signal back into the unit.

You can't profile from afar, I've already considered that and wish it worked but the KPA needs to hear the signal in real time and stops profiling if things aren't exactly as they should be.

Yes, it can do multi-mic and even multi-amp setups. You just need to route a summed mono signal back into the unit.

There must be some error time allowed, how does it compensate from one rig to another. I mean cable length, mic position must have varying time.

Yeah but at that point you're talking milliseconds at best, maybe 3-4 max if you're using room mics. That's almost imperceptible when playing, let alone when trying to time up a ghetto-rigged profile.

^ this one sounds best to my ears.

I was wondering this the other day if you can profile an old guitar recording from a daw into the Kemper. I had an old 2 channel recto I would love to make a profile of Daw>poweramp loop>Kemper

Just like in real life, mic placement is key. Preamp/power amp modeling of the Kemper and Axe-Fx will most likely fool us all but if the mic position was bad it'll sound bad.

Here's a Recto through my Orange PPC412 impulses: (I'm not actually sure if that was Overloud TH2 or the Axe-Fx :D )

Here's Axe-Fx Ultra Recto with everything on noon so no tweakage but OwnHammer IR:

Last edited by a moderator:
Second clip sounds good but soundcloud makes it hard to properly judge.
Could you upload a high quality mp3 for it?