Kemper owner thinking of Axe-FX

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Firstly this is not a Kemper vs Axe thread. I come here seeking your oppinons on my situation and not to start another one of those threads.

I have a Kemper which I love, it's absolutely changed everything for me, but I'm having some trouble dialling in clean and lead tones.

I don't want to talk about heavy tones. For me the Kemper has it covered for my needs and then some.

There's something about the Axe-FX for heavy tones that I don't like. I can't put my finger on it. If there's any Axe fanbois out there that want to prove me wrong then that's cool, I've got my flame suit on. The fact that I can pick the Axe in most so called blind tests that I've heard makes me think I'm right. The only ones I usually get wrong the source already has a certain character to it that I'm referring to.

Yes, I admit, there's probably many occasions that I've heard the Axe without even realising it.

Anyway, back on topic, I find that there are quiet a few good clean and lead tones available for the Kemper but I find it really hard to tweak them into different tones. I also find the FXs usable but I'm often heading for DAW plugins.

I should point out that I don't have access to real amps and mics so I have to work with profiles others have made, building my own profiles is not an option.

So I'm thinking of an Axe-FX for all the FX and tweakability for the cleans, lead, and fx laden sounds.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the Kemper can do it? Or, maybe the Axe is the perfect solution?

Bit of a long post. I hope I made sense. Just some opinions would be helpful.

Jeff I am also interested ;) You can never have enough profiles...
@abt before i bought my kemper i owned an Axe FX Standard. It's a great device, but nothing compared to a kemper with the right profiles. Love my kemper and i would never go back !!!

The "problem" maybe is...you have to fix the Input sense for clean and overdrive sounds. For the most "modelers" its not a problem if there is too much (or less) input from the guitar, but for the Kemper its totally different. I needed a few days to find the right level for reamping. Usual reamping box does not work for me for the kemper. Now i do everything via SPDIF connections, also now for the first time i record my guitars with PAD activated...i dialed in the Reamp sense at the kemper and also the distortion sense. Now everything is great. So i realised...less input for the kemper is better...than push the senses. Much better than too much input and less senses at the kemper. Try yourself, maybe watch out for different profiles. I´m sure you will get much happier with a Kemper than a AXE FX

I've had an Axe II for a little over a year. I have never played a Kemper so I can't do any direct comparisons. Also, I do not consider myself an Axe "fanboy", though I do like it.

Just want to mention a couple of things:

I doubt that there's too many other pieces of gear out there that allow more tweakability than the Axe. Is it hard to get a "decent" tone? No, a lot of the stock presets are "decent". Is it hard to get "that" tone in your head? Hell yes, but the important thing to note is that it is possible. With the Axe, you get out of it what you're willing to put into it, and I'm talking about some serious time experimenting, learning, and tweaking.

An important thing to note is that the overall tone you end up with depends extremely on the choice of IR (or tone match, if using one). The IR or tone match is everything. A lot of people obsess over the amp models, tweaking amp settings, etc. when they should really be more focused on finding the right IR that suits what they're ultimately looking for. The reason why so many Axe recordings that you've heard are recognizable as the Axe is because most of them are using the same old stock cabs (IRs). There's about 4 or 5 of the stock cabs that seem to get used on 90% of the Axe recordings I've heard.

The FX, tone-matching, and being able to re-amp are incredible features that I really like. Just be prepared to put some time into it. It's far from plug and play, in my opinion.

You have to remember the Axe FX II is not complete. It is still a work in progress. It's still in the development cycle, it's constantly being updated and improved. So reviews/soundclips/early opinions/videos of the unit previously are probably out of date.

I own an Axe FX II and I will admit that I thought about selling it at certain points, especially when Axe Edit became incompatible with later firmwares. Since then, the Axe FX II has sorted its issues and the averall unit is now phenominal in my opinion (and I didn't have that opinion until firmware 10 and now 11).

Who knows where Cliff will end up? His new enhanced impulse technology is very exciting to me and who knows when that will become available.

Point being... This unit is constantly being developed and is not complete yet. If you take someones opinions, sound samples, video examples who might have tried/used the unit 6 months to a year ago, it's a completely different sounding and responding beast now.

All I can tell you is that I have become a completely satisfied customer since firmware 10 and on. It wasn't until 10 and the introduction to the MIMIC technology that I really became a believer in what this box can do. Now, I'm simply in heaven whenever I use it.

Here is a really nice video showing off the versatility and latest firmware of the unit. Maybe this can help? It's not all metal, but it really shows what the unit is capable of...

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll not get a better all in one box. I'd still take an amp and cab every day of the week over any of it but who has the time/budget for the tiny difference these days unless you're recording the next nickelback album :D

P.S

Fremen's Axe Fx II presets are great!

I should point out that I don't have access to real amps and mics so I have to work with profiles others have made, building my own profiles is not an option.

that's exactly where the AXE-FX II wins!

you can start from a clean DI sound and tweak on to the tone you desire.
it's not a plug and play unit though, you'll have to learn.

the good thing is, after a while you'll be able to dial in great tones just by setting values without even having to listen...

the biggest weakpoint of the AXE is the cab sim (IR) section.
a while ago cliff announced "hiresIR" which is a much more detailed
image of a mic/cab capture. i think and always was thinking
that this is the "missing piece".

cheers
S.

I've had an Axe II for a little over a year. I have never played a Kemper so I can't do any direct comparisons. Also, I do not consider myself an Axe "fanboy", though I do like it.

Just want to mention a couple of things:

I doubt that there's too many other pieces of gear out there that allow more tweakability than the Axe. Is it hard to get a "decent" tone? No, a lot of the stock presets are "decent". Is it hard to get "that" tone in your head? Hell yes, but the important thing to note is that it is possible. With the Axe, you get out of it what you're willing to put into it, and I'm talking about some serious time experimenting, learning, and tweaking.

An important thing to note is that the overall tone you end up with depends extremely on the choice of IR (or tone match, if using one). The IR or tone match is everything. A lot of people obsess over the amp models, tweaking amp settings, etc. when they should really be more focused on finding the right IR that suits what they're ultimately looking for. The reason why so many Axe recordings that you've heard are recognizable as the Axe is because most of them are using the same old stock cabs (IRs). There's about 4 or 5 of the stock cabs that seem to get used on 90% of the Axe recordings I've heard.

The FX, tone-matching, and being able to re-amp are incredible features that I really like. Just be prepared to put some time into it. It's far from plug and play, in my opinion.

absolutely agree! :)

Kempers still being refined as well isn't it? Maybe not to the same level though? I still wanna try the damn thing!

Yeah but the basic profiling functionality hasn't changed a bit. I just think the mentality of "the axefx isn't complete!" is stupid - it's been on the market for the better part of a decade and while it's constantly being improved upon it is by no means some sort of beta unit.

Yeah but the basic profiling functionality hasn't changed a bit. I just think the mentality of "the axefx isn't complete!" is stupid - it's been on the market for the better part of a decade and while it's constantly being improved upon it is by no means some sort of beta unit.

Yeah deffo. I was toying with the idea of adding one to the rack for live use with the axe fx, could get a bit crazy though.

Saying the AxeFX isn't complete is like saying an operating system isn't complete because it has updates. It's on the market for sale - it's complete.

Just because a product is for sale does not mean it is complete. The hardware is, but the software in the box is not. The Axe FX II is currently still in development. PERIOD. Sadly, it is not complete.

This is just one reason updating to newer firmware versions is maddening on the Axe. Most every major firmware update has forced most Axe FX users (me included) to go back and start from scratch building their presets, and re-learn all the new controls that get changed.

Sometimes old controls disappear, while new ones pop up. Usually it's always for the best in the name of progress, but there's usually always lots of growing pains.

It’s a good discussion. I’ve read all the comments, they are all helpful in some way.

I think the issue for me is the tweakability. It's a catch 22. The simplicity of the Kemper, apart from sounding great, is also valuable feature, but I like to experiment with fx, build atmospheres etc.

I know many hate it but I really love pod farm for cleans and lead tones. I could never get anything close to useable for heavy tones.

One thing that concerns me about the axe is listening to demos on their site there seems to be a certain character that's always present in nearly every demo. I guess if that's your thing you would be in heaven. Maybe this character is deliberate. Now I understand why some love it so much and others not so much. I'm speaking strictly based of the demos I've heard and not face to face experience. There's just something I just don't like. I thought it was just the heavy tones but looking further I can still hear that character in the clean and lead tones. Maybe it's just the sound cloud player or maybe they are mastering or compressing the demos in some way that adds this flavour.

Or maybe I’m just full of crap or convincing myself that something’s there when it isn’t. The djent movement doesn’t help.

I love the way you can edit everything and the resale values of these is ridiculous.

As mentioned, many claim you really need to get some custom IRs before is sounds really good.

Something that’s amusing is the exact same clip posted on multiple forums. One group says it’s fantastic and the other says it’s terrible.

I’m certainly not trying to convince myself either way. If anything I really want it to sound a certain way because in theory it fits the bill in what I’m missing, I’m just not sold on the sound. I guess the Kemper wins here because it sounds like what you profile. One thing’s for sure I won’t be getting rid of the Kemper.

I agree with you on the character - That's exactly why I got rid of mine...

However - If you're planning on using this for only leads and cleans, the Axe-FX excels at those quite a bit IMO. Plus, the effects in it are utterly fantastic. For just about everything BUT heavy rhythms, I could get on with it... but I mostly play and record heavy rhythms :p:

I've owned both and think they are both great honestly, it depends what you are looking for out of a tool. I think they both also in fact have a 'character' of sorts, even with digital gear they are still designed mostly by one person and that person has an ear and tastes of their own. However with the crazy array of tools available in both to shape the sound I could definitely find my own voice in either.

In the end I went with the Axe II since I wanted something I could also use live. It's a more 'mature' package in terms of form factor, functionality / routing, I/O, software editor, matching MIDI controller etc.

I'll be posting some clips soon, I think with the last couple generations of firmwares the Axe definitely sounds / feels incredible; just as good at least as Kemper or anything out there. I'm no fanboy I love gear and it's an awesome time to be a gear whore!

I agree with you on the character - That's exactly why I got rid of mine...

However - If you're planning on using this for only leads and cleans, the Axe-FX excels at those quite a bit IMO. Plus, the effects in it are utterly fantastic. For just about everything BUT heavy rhythms, I could get on with it... but I mostly play and record heavy rhythms :p:

Yeah, I was thinking for cleans and leads but I'm not sure. So you think it's not a problem for them? When I listen to the video above at first I love it then as it goes on I start to hate it. I wonder how much of "that sound" is delay and reverb.

I've owned both and think they are both great honestly, it depends what you are looking for out of a tool. I think they both also in fact have a 'character' of sorts, even with digital gear they are still designed mostly by one person and that person has an ear and tastes of their own. However with the crazy array of tools available in both to shape the sound I could definitely find my own voice in either.

In the end I went with the Axe II since I wanted something I could also use live. It's a more 'mature' package in terms of form factor, functionality / routing, I/O, software editor, matching MIDI controller etc.

I'll be posting some clips soon, I think with the last couple generations of firmwares the Axe definitely sounds / feels incredible; just as good at least as Kemper or anything out there. I'm no fanboy I love gear and it's an awesome time to be a gear whore!

I thought the Kemper had a certain sound at first but now I think it's mostly the delay a reverb that a lot of profiles have. I find it really hard to dial in these that I like.

I hear what your saying about being a gear whore, I'm getting real bad!