Axe fx or not?

ST-AMAND

Jul 15, 2007
Amos(Abitibi-Témiscamingue)
Hi guys...I have some money to spend and I'm looking for the axe fx. It's better to spend 2000$ on a 5150III or in a axe fx? I'm not very familiar with the cab impulse thing...I just want to know is that possible to reach a natural tone with the axe fx? Let me know! thx

yannick

Yannick, for what you do and the kinds of tones you go for I would say that no, the AxeFX would not be a good option unless you wanted to use it as a preamp and run it through a tube poweramp + cabinet. I would also say that, conversely, the 5150III is exactly the kind of amp I would expect you to fall in love with.

Axe-FX is an awesome tool and great for FX but if you can crank up amps and mic them you'll prefer that (at least I do). Although I do love the Axe for cleans, leads and all the crazy FX. Get both, it's the only way to be sure! :p

Don't know. I used an AxeFx Ultra to record an EP 2 months ago and I think it's a fantastic live digital amp but not so user-friendly in a studio situation. Yes you've to learn it and you need practice, but personally I find way easier dialing a good tone with an amp and a mic. It's very boring to navigate through a display, switching pages, hundreds of simulation, pedals, etc...I mean, there are lot of things and it's positive but with too many things the risk is to have too many options to choose.
In fact, we spent 2 hours to dial a tone that wasn't very good and when I go back home I reamped it, finding a good tone in 10 minutes.
This is clearly a "learning curve" situation, but in studio I think you'll end up to use the few presets you did after many tests...so at the end it will not be so different than using a real amp you know.

AxeFX2, Go for it. Sounds awesome, all the fx you'll ever need, dead silent and has a headphone output. Also you can record two channels of processed guitar, and at the same time record a DI through USB as a soundcard.

Of course it has a learning curve, like everything else.

just traded my engl e570 for an axe standard and i have to say it´s the best deal i ever made.

From the clips I've heard I wouldn't say that the Axe sounds natural, there's always something funny in the midrange I find.

That said I do think it's capable of really good tones, but natural is not a word I'd use to describe it.

I actually have some amp and cab...I have one question about the axe fx...Can I send 2 DI in it? I want to send DI left to left input and DI right to right input and use the axe fx like a plug-in. I spend too much time reamping If I can use it in real time with 2 DI it would be awesome!!!! It's a hard choice...thx

Yannick, for what you do and the kinds of tones you go for I would say that no, the AxeFX would not be a good option unless you wanted to use it as a preamp and run it through a tube poweramp + cabinet. I would also say that, conversely, the 5150III is exactly the kind of amp I would expect you to fall in love with.

Agreed.

Yannick, get the 5150 III. You could get one on ebay used for around $1300 USD.

I know you are big into the 5150 and Mesa cab. I have both, as well as the 5150 III, and I used to have an Axe-FX Ultra (for 2 years) and sold it. I do like it for cleans and effects, but I think it's MUCH easier to get a great distorted tone out of the 5150 or 5150 III > mesa cab. The clean channel on the 5150 III is quite good too.

The downfall with the axe-fx is really the impulse responses. I don't see the Axe-FX 2 being all that different sounding because of this. The cab simulation is what really needs to be improved. I wouldn't do it...