Axe-Fx amp sim for metal rhythm comparison!

Which amp sim did you prefer?

• 0:00-0:16

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • 0:16-0:32

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • 0:32-0:48

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 0:48-1:05

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011
So I'm trying to decide which amp sim I'll be using and unsurprisingly the Peavey was the one I ended up once again. :) How about you?

Obviously you can tweak every amp sim to sound almost like whatever you're looking for. However this comparison was GEN1 and amps straight out of the box with presence set to 0 on all amp sims and just a quick amp EQ to get them balanced.

Amps included in this BLINDFOLD comparison are Peavey 5150, Bogner Uberschall, Marsha HBE and Mesa Recto in a random order ofcourse. The riff is played twice by all of these sims but which character do you like the most?

Feedback! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
First sounds like the Marsha, second sounds like the 5150, third sounds like the Uber, last sounds like Recto.

Whatever the second one is, I mostly prefer that one.

Dude... ears of gold! :D WTF?

Well, first has a low end roll off but a big pronounced mid-range, which pretty well describes every Marshall aside from a few.
Second one has the same pronounced mid-range but more low end, which describes a 5150.
Third has that extended bottom end and distinct ease of low mids, which is what I found a Twin-Jet to sound like.
Fourth has that grainy, slightly nasally top end and round low end, characteristic of a Recto.

It was close between the marsha and the uberschall for me, I was surprised when I found out I disliked the 5150 the most :L

I should really just buy a marsha and an uberschall, i'm a sucker for jerry cantrell and I always end up preferring these two over everything else in every blind test ever :L

Well, first has a low end roll off but a big pronounced mid-range, which pretty well describes every Marshall aside from a few.
Second one has the same pronounced mid-range but more low end, which describes a 5150.
Third has that extended bottom end and distinct ease of low mids, which is what I found a Twin-Jet to sound like.
Fourth has that grainy, slightly nasally top end and round low end, characteristic of a Recto.

This, pretty much. To me it went "nasal, open, deep low end + dry mids, grainy top end" in that order, which is basically Marshall, Peavey, Bogner, Mesa in a nutshell.

Number 2 is my favorite, go figure.

Yeah, this is getting a bit irritating for me since comparing them makes me find a minor flaw in all of them. :D

I think Marsha and Peavey had the best note definition and mid range so they win in that sense. I like the Mesa pick transient the most but don't completely like the presence character. Might actually be that Uberschall was my least favorite here.

I must say that I did a volume drop test afterwards which is something not all would appreciate much but anyways Peavey won that one and Mesa was a close second.