REAL AMPS VS AMP SIMS BLIND TEST

Which one is the real amp?

• Total voters
I have an AxeFX 2, if you want I could actually help you out if you could send me the dry tracks, impulses and some instructions perhaps.

All the tones are going through an impulse which is Catharsis S-Pres High (love you Ryan haha).
You should have miced the real amp(s) and use that because I think the real difference comes from miced vs. impulse. Or run both thru a cab and record that.

The biggest difference comes from impulse vs real cab not from amp vs sim, at least to my ears.

JHA said:
The biggest difference comes from impulse vs real cab not from amp vs sim, at least to my ears.

I concur. It's cool to have these kind of comparisons, and I understand the logic of using the same impulse in order to eliminate as many factors as possible, but this is just a pre/power amp comparison and not the whole "real vs sim" thing I thought it would be. Still cool, and it is pretty cool to see how when including the power section (AFAIK the torpedo works with the speaker output of the amp and not just the fx loop, right?) the ampsim can actually get pretty close to a real pre/power section.

(AFAIK the torpedo works with the speaker output of the amp and not just the fx loop, right?)

AFAIK :

-the Torpedo VB-101 and Live can work with either the speaker output of the amp (using its built-on loadbox, and load compensation function (Torpedo VB-101 only AFAIK) ) either the fx loop/preamp out (and now it features poweramp sims as well)
-the Torpedo VM-202 has no loadbox and is meant to be used after a fx loop/preamp out (and features poweramp sims)
-the Torpedo C.A.B has no loadbox and is meant to be used after pedals, and i guess it can also work after a fx loop/preamp out as well (and features poweramp sims)
-the Torpedo plugins (PI-101 WOS, PI-FREE, ...) have no loadbox (since they're plugins :) ) feature power amp sims so if you know what you're doing (giving your amp a proper load if needed) you can use it with whatever you want (preamps/fx out, speaker output, ...)