• B

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
had some spare time, and did a small shootout for some guys at another forum - maybe you guys will be interested too.

basically, i used the KSE DI (only double tracked though) and did a few reamps

- tubescreamer -> 5150 lead channel -> framus 212 w/ v30 -> sm57 -> fireface pre
- tubescreamer -> 5150 -> preamp out -> DAW, processed with an impulse. i chose the impulse to be as close to the raw amp sound as possible
- line 6 podfarm tubescreamer and 5150 sim -> same impulse as for the preamp out track.

be warned, i didn't spend a lot of time when dialing up the real amp tone, just a pretty basic tubescreamer 5150 lead channel sm57 setup.
i also didn't eq the other files to be as close to the raw track as possible. i tried to do so, but it's nearly impossible, so i said fuck it.

not the most scientific test at all, but after all it's just a fun shootout nothing more.

here's the files:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296348/shootout/Shootout.rar

feel free to vote and comment

my guess :

B - tubescreamer -> 5150 lead channel -> framus 212 w/ v30 -> sm57 -> fireface pre
A - tubescreamer -> 5150 -> preamp out -> DAW, processed with an impulse. i chose the impulse to be as close to the raw amp sound as possible
C - line 6 podfarm tubescreamer and 5150 sim -> same impulse as for the preamp out track.

i think its pretty obvious that b is the amp, the impulse makes both tones mid-scooped.
they have a similar scoopiness... overall i dont like any of the tones tbh ;-) but thats just personal taste.

i think you can get very very close to the original tone if you used the axe + voxengo curve eq.

i don't, either :D i just don't have much luck with the 5150. it's great as a second amp to blend in, adds a nice midrange girth, but i just can't seem to get a decent standalone tone just from the 5150.

and it's amazing how fucking WRONG they got the 5150 sim :D :D it behaves nothing like the original, and doesn't even share the same tonal qualities. the only thing they got right is the stupid amount of gain and the way the presence reacts (does next to nothing up to like 7/10, then starts to change the tone dramatically).

btw, i don't have curve eq, never saw the need for it...