first reamping test with my new amp!

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey guys,

found some time to mic up my new amp, engl fireball 100.
so far i'm amazed, it's a tonal opposite of my 5150 which is exactly what i wanted. plus it sounds really fucking tight without a boost.

honestly, i haven't spent much time fiddling with mic position or amp settings, so this is pretty raw.

it's quad tracked, two tracks with the mid boost off, and some mids added on the amp eq, two more tracks (80 left/right) with the mid boost on and scooped mids on the eq. otherwise it's pretty much all at noon. deep was turned off obviously.

recording chain:
radial x-amp -> fireball 100 -> framus 212 cab (v30 speakers) -> sm57 in the basic "sneap" position -> rme pre.
only HP @ 60hz and LP @ 12khz, otherwise completely unprocessed.

check it out:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296348/dennis/Rose Of Sharyn Fireball Test.mp3

feel free to comment!

Those guitars are freakin' tight sounding man. I was worried about using 2x12 cabs and sticking with the 4x12, but from this, I don't know. It's pretty dark but nothing a little eq can't fix.

I'd be curious to hear a comparison of an amp between similar cabs, one 2x12 and a 4x12, with same speakers and impedance with same mic placement... I'd be surprised it had any difference at all, especially with a "typical" metal close-mic placement you typically want to use with metal tones... Am I wrong?

jep, it's a bit on the dark side, even with the framus cab. i demo'ed it in the store through a 412 engl with v60 speakers, and it was quite a big brighter (but no less fat), so the cabinet obviously plays a role here.
the fact that it has very pronounced low mids kinda makes it appear darker than it is, though. fortunately the low mids are tight as fuck so you don't end up in woof city even when miced. on the other hand, it doesn't seem to be a great standalone amp (in a studio situation), but i'm sure it'll blend very well and add a nice thickness.
hell, i thought that my 5150 wasn't a great standalone amp either. i'm eager to try 2 tracks 5150 2 tracks fireball, should sound stunning, with the FB being low mid centered and the 5150 high mid centered and more fizzy.