I've finally found the sweet spot micing my 5150.

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
Well it's been a struggle, as I'm sure it is for anyone micing an amp to find the balance between amp settings and mic position. I've been experimenting with mic positions and I think I finally found one I'm really into. I think the amp settings complement it as well. If I adjust the settings at all, I'll probably lower the mids, but other than that I'm happy.

It's a really lame chord progression with my Les Paul, but like I said it was just a test. No boost or anything, straight in...gain was on 3, post on 3.5. I think I finally captured the sound of the amp accurately. I can't wait to get my fathead ribbon and to experiment with that.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/100-DoubleTrackedHiPass.mp3

The palm mutes aren't very tight, but that is due to the low gain and no tubescreamer.

Let me know what you think. It has just a touch of high pass to tame the boomy low end.

-Joe

Sounds fucking gooood dude
Wish my raws sounded that good.

Thanks dude!

I've learned a couple of really important things. I used to try and fail getting sounds like this with my Avatar 2x12. Same speaker, but man was it night and day when I got the Mesa oversized. I was giving up hope for a while, but more trial and error paid off.

-Joe

Thanks dude!

I've learned a couple of really important things. I used to try and fail getting sounds like this with my Avatar 2x12. Same speaker, but man was it night and day when I got the Mesa oversized. I was giving up hope for a while, but more trial and error paid off.

-Joe

Yeah I'd kill for a Mesa Oversized, my 2x12 just doesn't cut it.

Hmm, pretty good dude, but honestly, I think there's a bit too much fizz in there; might wanna try moving a bit away from the dustcap. It's got a lot of potential though, I'd like to hear it with something other than whole note power chords! :loco:

Hmm, pretty good dude, but honestly, I think there's a bit too much fizz in there; might wanna try moving a bit away from the dustcap. It's got a lot of potential though, I'd like to hear it with something other than whole note power chords! :loco:

It's way to the right of the dustcap man. The edge of the mic is jussssst barely touching the dustcap. It does need some more processing though. Some low pass to tame the fizz and such.

But yeah, I will have some full mixes up eventually, but I think I have some good raw tone happening.

Thanks for the advice!

-Joe

I found that this mic position is best right now. If I move it anymore to the right it will start to mud up the sound. Also the presence is set pretty high on the amp. I think it gives it better "bite" that way. It should stand out in a mix pretty well, me thinks. Also if I move it any closer to the left it just sounds much, much fizzier and not as full sounding.

-Joe

Save for it bro! Or sell some unnecessary gear. I'm amazed sometimes by how much stuff I realize I can sell that isn't being used, lol.

-Joe

All I have is my Schecter, my 5150 and my Framus 2x12, so I have the essentials and literally nothing else haha.
Can't sell shit. And I'm a poor student, I live on like £20 a week. It's not happening any time soon unfortunately.

All I have is my Schecter, my 5150 and my Framus 2x12, so I have the essentials and literally nothing else haha.
Can't sell shit. And I'm a poor student, I live on like £20 a week. It's not happening any time soon unfortunately.

I hear you man...you do have some nice gear though. You should be able to get a great sound out of that Framus cab.

-Joe

I hear you man...you do have some nice gear though. You should be able to get a great sound out of that Framus cab.

-Joe

Aye, I know. All my raw tones sound a bit muffled. :S
I can't seem to get them sounding any less muffled without them going fizz city.

just listening to the first clip....
I don't think it's too fizzy tbh, they always sound a bit fizzier when listened to soloed.
the "grainy fizz" on top comes from the pups IMO, I'm sometimes having a similar "problem" when using passives with the 5150...just a taste thing IMO, there are plenty of great sounding records with a similar "problem" that sound great.
certainly a boost would help tightening the lows though...
I think you've got a quite usable tone there

Really nice tone there. I like it alot.
Could you make an impulse of that? Would be great!
I've just got an 5150 Mark1 and I want to test it with some new impulses.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Lasse, yeah it definitely would be tighter with a boost. I'm still experimenting with that. I think with this I was going for more of a "rock" tone if you will. I might pick up a cheap Schecter or something else with EMGs to use with this setup. I know those palm mutes sound flubby, but yeah there was very low gain there with no boost.

Carlsman, I need to figure out how to make some impulses first, haha. I've used them before but never made one. I'm gonna research it on the forums and give it a try. I use Logic, so I'm not quite sure what to use to create an impulse. I'll report back.

Thanks for the compliments and comments!

-Joe

Thanks for the link man.

hmmm I'm at work right now, but it was something like:

Pre: 3
Low: 7
Mid: 3.5
High: 5.6
Resonance: 10
Presence: 9

I think those are pretty close.

-Joe