New 5150 + OD-820 tone

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I'v been doing some guitar tests yesterday.
Chain was : ESP Eclipse with EMG pickups => Maxon OD-820 => Bogner Uberkab
The cab was miced with a 57 in front of the upper right V30 speaker. Mic pre was a Vintech X81 into Lavry AD10 converter, I had the 50 Hz low cut engaged on the Vintech.
I programmed the drums for the song "Food For The Gods" by In Flames, and we recorded the first riffs. Tuning is not perfect but I think the tone is cool !
The tones are EQed and panned 90% on each side, double tracked.

We did one test using the lead channel :
Sly_5150_ESPEc_lead_EQ
And another with the rythm channel (different settings on the Maxon though) :
Sly_5150_ESPEc_rythm_EQ

I had to EQ the low mids with ApEQ quite a lot (300-800 Hz area), I think the tubes I'm using in the power amp are a bit too midrangey (JJ 6L6 tubes), I can post the raw tracks if you want. I'd like to have your opinion on this. Or maybe a bias issue ?

sounds awesome, i like the lead channel the best to be honest, just sounds like its got more bite.

As for the low mids, i also have the same problem (same valves) not sure if theres a way to fix it.

Yeah thanks, I love the lead channel too, but I'm sure I can get something better out of the rythm channel :)

I heard the JJs are more midrangey and less gainy than Sovtek or Svetlana tubes for instance, they sound amazing but maybe a bit too warm to fit well in the mix. I have to try other power amp tubes.

I DEFINITELY prefer the rhythm, it's way more full to my ears (assuming you didn't change the mic position between the tests) - guitars sound good, though too much gain IMO though, and that snare is kinda painful; all attack and nothing else :erk: The click on the kick is kind of annoying too, doesn't feel like there's much body behind it. Good playing though!

ahah yes the drums were programmed quickly, didn't spend much time on them...
Download the links again, I changed the drums a bit and achieved a tiny better guitar EQ, I love how the lead channel sounds now. But the rythm is awesome too, more growl !

I tried a different EQ, I tried to cut less and keep more of the raw take, here are the results :

Lead channel :
Sly_5150_ESPEc_lead_lessEQ

Rythm channel :
Sly_5150_ESPEc_rythm_lessEQ

I prefer the sound of the rythm channel like this, it seems to be a bit tighter and it's easier to keep the low mids.
As for the lead channel, I prefer my first version (first post).

I guess a part of the problem is that I'm using the C3 multiband compressor to tame the low mids but it seems to sound a bit lame. Anyone having a good C3 setting or recommanding a good cheap mulitband comp ?
I'm using ApEQ too, which is not the best EQ plugin, it could sound better with a better EQ.

Hey Peter, yes I'll post the raw tracks when I'm back home.

Settings for the lead channel samples were :

Pre gain 4
Bass 6
Mids 2,5
Treble 4,5
Resonance 7
Presence 7

OD-820 settings : Drive 9 o'clock, Tone 11 o'clock, Balance 12 o'clock

Rythm channel settings :

Pre gain 6
Bass 6
Mids 2,5
Treble 4,5
Resonance 7
Presence 7

OD-820 settings : Drive 12 o'clock, Tone 1 o'clock, Balance 1 o'clock

Joe, I never tried to go under 2,5 but I think I should. Anyway JJ tubes are known to produce a lots of mids, they sound very warm and thick, which is good but a bit too much when you need depth in a mix. Can't wait to receive the new tubes !

Joe, I never tried to go under 2,5 but I think I should. Anyway JJ tubes are known to produce a lots of mids, they sound very warm and thick, which is good but a bit too much when you need depth in a mix. Can't wait to receive the new tubes !

Sly,

Yeah, experiment with that mid knob! I was also worried about setting the mids that low as I HATE scooped mids, but the 5150 simply has a middy nature to it's tone. The mid knob and presence affect the tone of that amp so much! even little increments.

Let us know when the new tubes arrive...:headbang:

-Joe

Sly,

Yeah, experiment with that mid knob! I was also worried about setting the mids that low as I HATE scooped mids, but the 5150 simply has a middy nature to it's tone. The mid knob and presence affect the tone of that amp so much! even little increments.

Let us know when the new tubes arrive...:headbang:

-Joe

Aye I keep my mids at like 0.7 now :|:|:|
STILL sounds crystal fucking clear, it's actually spooky.
Tons of growl and plenty of clarity.
Shit's good yo.

Could I get pics of the mic position also Sly?
I'm gonna spend a day honing my mic placement soon and I could do with a starting point.

The Rhythm Channel clip with less EQ sounds fucking amazing by the way. Seriously fucking huge.
Nice job