New Gibson SG tones - 5150, Powerball content !

Yes the Powerball is very modern sounding, very tight sound, quite podish. It should sound a bit more like a real amp with the presence cranked but I thought it made it agressive in a bad way.
This one has JJ 6L6 tubes in the power amp too, which I'm sure makes it a bit less gainy.

Hey Sly,

How about a similar test (if you have the time), with the Purple Audio Biz? Would you say it is more API or Neve like?

-Joe

The Purple Biz is very different from my APIs and my Vintech, and you can drive the output hot or activate the "dual" mode if you need more agression and tightness. That said, IMO the Purple sounds a bit more like an API because it's very tight and has a very good transient response (fast pre), but not as creamy, warm and smooth as the Vintech for sure.
Next time I will use my Royer too ;)

Awesome, sounds like a great place. I will actually be in Europe in September. Amsterdam, Brussels, Munich, and somewhere else we haven't decided yet.

Would be fun to do some tone tests. :headbang:

I would like to visit a Swiss shooting range though...:)

-Joe

I live in a city called groningen and have enough space, so if you need a place to sleep for some nights...

I live in a city called groningen and have enough space, so if you need a place to sleep for some nights...

Thanks dude, I will keep it in mind if we are around your way! We are most likely taking a train from Amsterdam to Brussels. We are then picking up a car in Brussels and will make our route to Munich for Oktoberfest. :headbang:

-Joe

I like the fourth test and the quad tracked V30+Powerball+EQed version
I don't like the fourth when its EQ'd quite as much, personally I think it sounds a bit harsh, I would pull back any boost you've made just slightly, by just a dB.
but hey thats just me, but anyway it fucking rocks.

I use it on guitar bus, affecting all guitars at once. Doesn't make much sense to me to have one on each track...except leads, but those don't go to the guitar bus the way I do it ;)

~006

Djabthrash, actually I've really tried to achieve an agressive tone with the 5150 this time, it's really bright (resonance : 8 ; presence : 9), but for sure I could get a warmer and thicker tone by lowering the presence to 7 or even 8.

Actually i'm more a bright/agressive/chunky/crunchy tone type of guy, rather than warm/thick/dark/modern/round/polished.