Help me to choose the tone for my band ! Framus, 5150, Savage content

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
I reamped the guitar tracks for my second band KWATO in which I play drums (I'm recording/mixing it too). I tried different amps with different settings, which one do you guys prefer ?

We recorded this with a Gibson SG Standard with passive pups, only two tracks. I used the DI from my Vintech pre so it should have darkened the sound a bit (will buy a clean DI soon).

There are only drums (without toms) and guitars, no bass, no vocals. Without the bass it's difficult to say which will fit the most, but it can give an idea. As Andy said, a good tone is in the mids ! The drums are premixed a bit. On each one, there is the C3 multiband acting a little in the low mids between 160 and 240 Hz, lowpass @ 12k, highpass @ 60 Hz.
I used my Maxon OD-820 as a boost on each.

Reamping chain : MOTU 828 (the weakest thing in my chain, I need that Mytek DA !) => Radial X-Amp => amp + Mesa OS cab => SM57 => Vintech X81 pre => Lavry AD10 converter.

5150 lead channel reamping

5150 rythm channel reamping

Framus Cobra crunch channel reamping

Framus Cobra lead channel reamping

Engl Savage 120 lead channel reamping

I have the settings for each amp if you're interested.

5150 lead channel and engl savage are my favorites....i prefer the 5150 actually, but it's such a well known sound, whereas the savage has more of an unique flavor i think

i think the cobra misses a bit of the "in the face" thing.

i like the rhythm channel more.
don't think that theres a lot of difference between the 5150 and the savage though. i'd go for that amp you feel better with. since i own a 6505+ i'd go for the 5150 ;)
but they sound good both!
were did you put that sm57, position wise?

cheers

5150 Lead. Still has quite a "nasal" sound in the mids though, for my taste (for whatever that is worth :lol:). I think if you can cut some of those out it may lose some stuffiness and gain some clarity. My tastes might be too scooped for some people though.

I'm going to side with GuitarHack on this one. I'm not absolutely loving ANY of the tones, at least not to suit your awesome playing. Have you tried different speakers on the cabinet yet, moving the cabinet around the room, etc?