6505 Real + Sim comparison - the real thing must sound better!!

Ok, did some research :) The tone was too fizzy - I think that was the main
thing which made it sound thin.

First, I tried the ENGL V30 + higher presence impulse response. I used the
preamp out of the 6505 and then used Boogex to load the impulse.

Second I just reamped again through the 6505 and the Marshall V30 cab,
refining the position of the SM 57 and additionally using an MD 421, which is
added pretty subtle however (-18dB).

http://www.soundclick.com/hole

I think both sound definitely better than the POD. And I like the new miked
version more than the impulse version, but again, it is a matter of taste of
course :)

Oh and I used the POD's internal EQ to match the 6505 tone. I had to lower the mids and raise the high mids, basically.
Sorry, it was otherwise :) ..raise the mids and lower the upper mids.

Sounds just a tad dry, but pretty good! In this case, I think the miced Marshall sounds better, but you did say there were other differences than just the cab.

Sounds just a tad dry, but pretty good! In this case, I think the miced Marshall sounds better, but you did say there were other differences than just the cab.
What other differences? You mean the " + higher presence"? I meant the impulse response which was recorded with higher presence (I found two Engl V30 impulses on this forum, basically the same just with different presence settings).

try to mix them! but the miked one is much better than the first effort.
Yeah I think a tone between both would be the best. But instead of mixing the tones, I miked it one more time and tried to find a tone between the previous ones.
Ok, it is a different riff now and it is quad tracked, but the comparisons are pretty bad anyway because the tones have different levels.

But I'm pretty happy now with the tone I've achieved in the end!

http://www.soundclick.com/hole

..and I'm happy that the real 6505 + cab is worth its money, because I don't think I can achieve this tone again with the POD. :)

What other differences? You mean the " + higher presence"? I meant the impulse response which was recorded with higher presence (I found two Engl V30 impulses on this forum, basically the same just with different presence settings).

Nah, I was talking more about you mixing in that MD421.