Revalver III 6505 V's Real 6505 comparison

GuitarHack

Krank it UP!
Sep 3, 2006
Victoria, Australia
I have quickly tweaked Rev III's 6505 model to sound similar to a 6505 clip I had previously reamped. The Real 6505 tone is not brilliant but it was the first one I could find that I could quickly compare to. :) Thanks to Jauernis for the DI tracks. :kickass:

Results can be heard here:

RevIIIcomparison.rar

Both samples have no post processing, HP/LP, etc...

Windows may report a blocked popup when trying to download the file, the popup is the file to be downloaded. It's safe.

Sounds like the revalver model is a bit more fuzzy (but the linear kind of fuzzy), whereas the original is a bit smoother and has a little more low-mid love. Seems they got pretty close, but unfortunately not close enough to ditch tube amps altogether. Is the actual 6505 head going through an impulse or something though? Something doesn't sound quite 100% natural about it.

Thanks for taking the time out to do that, GH. Appreciated as always.

I have quickly tweaked Rev III's 6505 model to sound similar to a 6505 clip I had previously reamped. The Real 6505 tone is not brilliant but it was the first one I could find that I could quickly compare to. :) Thanks to Jauernis for the DI tracks. :kickass:

Results can be heard here:

RevIIIcomparison.rar

Both samples have no post processing, HP/LP, etc...

Windows may report a blocked popup when trying to download the file, the popup is the file to be downloaded. It's safe.

Nice dude. Did you mean tweak the amp settings or tweak the "internal tweak" settings.

BTW people if you are playing with EMG's set the input voltage slider to 2 volts. It's in the input/output tweak section. EMG-91 output a voltage of about 2 volts and the default values on the amps are for passive pickups.

2 GuitarHack, nice result, bro! please, upload 6505 "module preset" and RIR preset... waiting for comments on recording

2 Moonlapse, can't say any better :)

I didn't tweak any internal settings at all, just used the settings you can see in the pic. I had never used Revalver before so I just played around with the basics. I literally spent 10 minutes, with the install time included, and dialled the amp controls in to get similar to the real 6505 tone. I didn't use the internal IR module, I used Boogex instead with an impulse.

Using the same settings as the amp didn't quite give the same sound. To try and match the real 6505 bottom end I needed to put the Bass and Res on Max and add some Bass from the greener OD module. I also had to turn the Pres down and Mid up. The Real amp settings were:

6505 (out of 10 settings, not o'clock)
Green Channel
Pre 5.5
Bass 7.5
Mid 1
Treb 5
Post 2.5
Res 8.5
Pres 9.25

OD808 (o'clock)
OD 9
Tone 12
Balance 12

@Moonlapse - the real 6505 sample was a mic'd cab recording, no impulse and it is "as-recorded" no HP/LP, etc.... just a raw recorded double-tracked clip. I did use a noise suppressor on the DI tracks though as a test, maybe that's making it sound weird. It was a test clip originally.

EDIT: Clicking the thumbnail enlarges the pic, but there might be some booby banner advertising on the page, sorry, maybe NSFW.

I didn't tweak any internal settings at all, just used the settings you can see in the pic. I had never used Revalver before so I just played around with the basics. I literally spent 10 minutes, with the install time included, and dialled the amp controls in to get similar to the real 6505 tone. I didn't use the internal IR module, I used Boogex instead with an impulse.

Using the same settings as the amp didn't quite give the same sound. To try and match the real 6505 bottom end I needed to put the Bass and Res on Max and add some Bass from the greener OD module. I also had to turn the Pres down and Mid up. The Real amp settings were:

6505 (out of 10 settings, not o'clock)
Green Channel
Pre 5.5
Bass 7.5
Mid 1
Treb 5
Post 2.5
Res 8.5
Pres 9.25

OD808 (o'clock)
OD 9
Tone 12
Balance 12

@Moonlapse - the real 6505 sample was a mic'd cab recording, no impulse and it is "as-recorded" no HP/LP, etc.... just a raw recorded double-tracked clip. I did use a noise suppressor on the DI tracks though as a test, maybe that's making it sound weird. It was a test clip originally.

EDIT: Clicking the thumbnail enlarges the pic, but there might be some booby banner advertising on the page, sorry, maybe NSFW.

Which impulse did you use for the Revalver clip?

Pretty big difference in tightness and lowmids...It would be better to hear of a comparison of just the Head and not any overdrive pedals or modules

Hey, definitely sounds real close man, but what's with the playing? Am I the only one who thought it sounded like you were hitting the strings like a total vagina? :lol:

I think these are some reamped DI tracks from another user here...

EDIT: oh, it is just written on the first post...

Thanks for sharing the impulse GH, gotta try it tonight!