Amp Shootout Part II: Mics vs. Impulses

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1569935/Impulse-Amp Shootout.mp3

Here is a shootout I've done to compare my three favorite tube amps by using a microphone vs. using an impulse response through a cab simulator. This is a LONG clip with a riff from a song I wrote repeating approximately every minute and four seconds. Each time the riff repeats, the amp changes. This is going to be a guessing game at first to see if you can tell which amp is which. As soon as 50 posts are reached, I will reveal the responses.

Note: I did not keep settings the same for the amp and impulse version of that amp. I simply tried to get the two as close as possible.

Amps:
Mercury Magnetics Modified Peavey 5150II
Mercury Magnetics Modified Peavey Windsor
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Rack

Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 equipped with Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine Livewires

All of these clips were re-amped (had the DI of the guitar sent out of the recording interface into the amp)

Chain for Amplified/Mic'd Clips:
RME Fireface 800->John Cuniberti ReAmp v2->Maxon OD-820 Pro (used as a boost)-> Respective Amplifier->Mesa 4x12 Standard Straight Cab->Audix i5->RME Fireface 800

Chain for Impulse Clips:
RME Fireface 800->John Cuniberti ReAmp v2->Maxon OD-820 Pro (used as a boost)-> Respective Amplifier->Weber MASS 150 Attenuator Line Out->RME Fireface 800->Peavey Revalver MK III speaker convolution loaded with CatharsisStudio's s-preshigh impulse.

No post processing aside from a high-pass @ 80hz and a low pass @13khz was used on the guitars.

The backing tracks remain EXACTLY the same throughout.

You have to choose from 6 clips:
A, B, C, D, E & F (all in the same mp3).

Your possible options:
-Dual Rectifier Mic'd
-Dual Rectifier Impulse
-5150II Mic'd
-5150II Impulse
-Windsor Mic'd
-Windsor Impulse

As mentioned before, at approximately 1:04 seconds, the riff repeats and it becomes "clip B."

I'd also like to mention that one of these amps did NOT take well to impulses. There was no balance between dull and shrill, I fought with it for about a half hour to no avail.

Yeah, it's a big difference between the amped ones and impulse ones. Of the impulses I think 5 sounds the best and 3 the worst. All amped ones sound very good imo, nr 1 is my favorite if I have to pick one of them tho. Not experienced enough to guess which one is which though :)

1)5150 real
2)Mesa impulse
3)Windsor impulse
4)Mesa real
5)Windsor real
6)5150 impulse

Im not quite sure about 1 and 6.Maybe its the deferent way around.God damn it,cant tell using logitech gaming headphones:lol::lol::lol:

lets bring closer the moment of clarity.
my guess is 1,4,5 real micing and 2,3,6 impulses.

i haven't heard the files yet, but wouldn't an ideal mic vs. impulse test have you micing the amp in a suitable position, make an impulse with a full spectrum sweep and then use say an ideal a/b box to separate signal at end of preamp to an ideal interface with ideal convertors and to the cab, record both without moving the mic and using the impulse made on the track? but i'm probably just overthinking it :p (i guess my logic is fail aswell as the impulse version has signal running through the ad/da, interface twice due to the recording of the impulse :lol:)
will get back to you on the clips soon

i haven't heard the files yet, but wouldn't an ideal mic vs. impulse test have you micing the amp in a suitable position, make an impulse with a full spectrum sweep and then use say an ideal a/b box to separate signal at end of preamp to an ideal interface with ideal convertors and to the cab, record both without moving the mic and using the impulse made on the track? but i'm probably just overthinking it :p (i guess my logic is fail aswell as the impulse version has signal running through the ad/da, interface twice due to the recording of the impulse :lol:)
will get back to you on the clips soon

Agreed, that would be a much fairer test to take an impulse response from your cab/micing. You could just reamp them twice. The point is that you could make the the impulse ones sound better by not micing the cab as good as the impulse.

Still think 1>6>4>5>2>3 soundwise. I Just listened to a demo of the windsor on youtube(never heard it before :p) and maybe miced windsor is nr 5 like moto said.

Agreed, that would be a much fairer test to take an impulse response from your cab/micing. You could just reamp them twice. The point is that you could make the the impulse ones sound better by not micing the cab as good as the impulse.

I agree with this statement. I used Catharsis Studio's Impulse s-preshigh because it is by far one of the best I've heard and it's using the same cab as mine with very similar miking and a very similar mic. Also, I spent A LOT OF TIME tweaking settings for the impulse clips and virtually NONE for the mic'd clips and got much better results with the latter.

Hm!

Is that song still a work in progress or did you borrow the riffs from a completed track? I know a few people who would dig a proper recording of a song like that. :headbang:

Is that song still a work in progress or did you borrow the riffs from a completed track? I know a few people who would dig a proper recording of a song like that. :headbang:

I wrote the riff for the shootout but realized it wasn't half bad upon listening a few thousand times for the test :loco: I can work on making this a full song, which I will as soon as I'm done recording the zillion bands I have to track/edit/mix.

Thanks for the kind words.