Dubai

Saunders wrote an interesting essay on Dubai for GQ, which is in this book: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Braindead-Megaphone-George-Saunders/dp/159448256X[/ame] . I couldn't find the essay online, though.

all good. might be worth checking out! thanks for the heads up
long time no see - come around more often

hehe was kinda surprised to see a topic with the name "Dubai" here. i live a couple hr away from Dubai in the capital of the United Arab Emirates called Abu Dhabi.
The change in Dubai is crazy, i've spent a lot of my summer holidays here and also some of my childhood,the change i have seen is really amazing.

hey peter. long time no talk! i remember mailing you Lux Aeterna thinkin.. what the fuck is U A E lol
after some research i have been blown away!
make a deal. you come in the woods and bush lands of sault ste marie, ontario canada.. and we'll rock into Dubai =)

hey peter. long time no talk! i remember mailing you Lux Aeterna thinkin.. what the fuck is U A E lol
make a deal. you come in the woods and bush lands of sault ste marie, ontario canada.. and we'll rock into Dubai =)

Are you a fan of Kenny Vs. Spenny, by chance? Anytime I hear Sault Ste Marie, I think of Kenny going there to find a different Spencer Rice to arm wrestle. :lol:

Also, if you're into tech death, check out UAE-based Nervecell. Good stuff. They've a forum here, too.

hey man yea its been a while...working and studying sucks.
well i am planning a trip to the great white north next summer so i think we have a deal.

One more reason to Love Dubai...Opeth performing here next year March 6th

Also, if you're into tech death, check out UAE-based Nervecell. Good stuff. They've a forum here, too.
Nervecell are a good band, friends of mine for sometime now.

Dubai really has to be seen to be believed.

I was lucky to spend a few weeks there a couple of years ago on a work assignment and even though I was initially apprehensive about travelling to that part of the world (stereotypes and all that), I ended up enjoying it and hope to go back. I did visit the Mall of the Emirates (the one with the indoor skiing) which was just as 'western' as say West Edmonton Mall. I also took a day tour to the neighboring country of Oman which was absolutely beautiful. Here are a few of my pics:

IMG_0597.jpg

View of the Burj Al Arab hotel from a neighbouring resort/shopping complex.

IMG_0617.jpg

Construction in Dubai (literally, as far as the eye can see in any direction).