DVD-Sound question

Downtime

Jul 7, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Hey there!
It´s a little off topic I guess, but a little bit on-topic, too:

I just wondered if anyone of you knows a way, to extract a single audio-track from DVD.
I know how to "rip" all audio including voices, sound-fx and music. But I´m searching for a way to just extract the voices without everything else.
I guess there must be a way, since there must be a single voice-track on a DVD (for example because you can turn a voice louder or even off with a surround-system at home and so on).

Any hint, anyone?

Thank you,

Down

Usually the voice track comes from the central speaker. If you manage to rip a 5.1 audio file from the dvd, there should be a separate track for the voice.

Hi!
That´s what I built my hope to get it work on. I´ve searched the net for hours to find a programm that´s able to extract the single tracks of the 5.1, but everyone I found could export a stereotrack only, with no choice which signal should be the source.
The last, and most uncomfortable, chance would be to connect the front-out of a hardware decoder to the in of my soundcard and record it manually, but I guess there must be a smarter way somewhere out there..

Hey!
Thanks for your effort! I just downloaded and tried the program, but I didn´t understand how it works ;)
I found a tool called "DVD Audio Extractor" (pretty obvious^^...) which is able to export a .wav - file of every channel from 5.1 files.. but I tried several DVDs and found some "music only" tracks, but no voice-only ones, they were all with music and FX, too.
But I´ll try further and further ;)
Thanks again,
Seb

Hey,

I just tried the method mentioned in the tutorial with James Bond - "Tomorrow never dies". But I got nothing but aggressive hum on each extracted channel.
Then I tried it with DVD Audio Extractor again and got pretty good material.
You can choose the output format there (in my case .wav) and "seperate each channel to single audio file". Then it takes some minutes / chapter and you get the different 5.1 channels as .wav-files. On the first track of it I got the voices with a rest of music, but not much at all and nothing you could cut away and stuff.
If you want to have a karaoke-kind of version of a music DVD it works pretty good, because the music-tracks are really clean and without voices.
There´s a forum on the tutorial-site you linked with pretty much information on that topic, but for me this DVD Audio Extractor - thing worked best.

Seb