dynamic range ?

kykiles

GuitarPlayer
Apr 15, 2010
Russia, PTZ
Hello! There was a question about a dynamic range...
For example at me is Kick Drum at which RMS =-19, and the maximum peak -2 db, and the minimum peak -6db, whether it is necessary to compress a dynamic range using Limiter or it is possible to make it something another? Or it is better to keep dynamics?

well since this is metal... no
sample it, trigger it, compress it, parallel compress it squash it so it sounds like your brains are going to pop from your ears.
(I'm hoping something doesn't get lost in translation there)

i would't say such things so lightely.....

in this case, which is bass drum, your'e probably right because it does not require a lot of dynamic range

but don't mistake this to be a rule in metal!
sanre drums sould be much more dynamic, and so are a lot of other tracks!

to sum up: bass drum compressed, but not to generalize it to all metallic elements

i would't say such things so lightely.....

in this case, which is bass drum, your'e probably right because it does not require a lot of dynamic range

but don't mistake this to be a rule in metal!
sanre drums sould be much more dynamic, and so are a lot of other tracks!

to sum up: bass drum compressed, but not to generalize it to all metallic elements

I would, in metal things are loud, louder, and loud as fuck

plus you're a n00b wtf do you know

I kid, I kid.

first of all, you don't need a 1000 messages to know sound, dude.

second, in all generes things are loud as, ever heard about the "loudness race"?
loud does not equal good in the long run. loudness exaustes your ears really fast so you get tired of what your'e hearing faster.
but that's mastering.
when approaching a mix you should compress only the instruments which aren't dynamic. compressing everything to fuckery is just killing your music (e.g. Metallica's Death Magnetic)

Not necessarily dude, I compress literally everything, check out Chris Lord-Alge's or even David Bendeth mixes... you cant get any more compressed than that and their mixes are ridiculously good. I believe Death Magnetic wasnt faulted by compression but by so many other elements as it seems that simply the source of everything was shit

second, in all generes things are loud as, ever heard about the "loudness race"?
loud does not equal good in the long run. loudness exaustes your ears really fast so you get tired of what your'e hearing faster.
but that's mastering.
when approaching a mix you should compress only the instruments which aren't dynamic. compressing everything to fuckery is just killing your music (e.g. Metallica's Death Magnetic)

compression on individual tracks during mixing is nothing to do with the loudness war. Extreme compression on single tracks has been going on for decades, well before any loudness war came about

Not necessarily dude, I compress literally everything, check out Chris Lord-Alge's or even David Bendeth mixes... you cant get any more compressed than that and their mixes are ridiculously good. I believe Death Magnetic wasnt faulted by compression but by so many other elements as it seems that simply the source of everything was shit

Agreed.
It seems a lot of modern mixes by the very top guys like CLA, Randy Staub, Bendeth et al tend to have every bit of dynamic totally squashed from every track, and then perceived dynamics are just automated back in.
And the results speak for themselves, it sounds fucking amazing.

but that's mastering.

No offence intended dude, but from the last few posts you've made it seems fairly obvious that you're quite new at this, and a lot of the information you're giving out is well-intentioned but very misguided, and will confuse a lot of people. I'd do some more research and reading up before you start lecturing people on a subject you're not totally clear on, if I were you..

No offence intended dude, but from the last few posts you've made it seems fairly obvious that you're quite new at this, and a lot of the information you're giving out is well-intentioned but very misguided, and will confuse a lot of people. I'd do some more research and reading up before you start lecturing people on a subject you're not totally clear on, if I were you..

+ fucking 1. There are no stead-fast rules Mr. Arsenu.

There's not one situation where one could say, 100% of the time, 'DON'T COMPRESS XXXXXX INSTRUMENT, EVARRRRRRR'.

C'mon bro, that's a fucking joke. In the context of mixing, this is ALL an art.

So don't go spreading bullshit making n00bs think they can't use the color red.

Not for nothing, but if you go back and read the other post in the thread although there pretty f'n funny there a bit more misguided than Arsenu..at least he got it half right?..although not nearly as funny...

i really like the people here LOL
the israeli metal forum is filled with jerks...

anyway i have to disagree with what your'e saying...
i know that most people do compress like hell and that nothing is right in all cases which makes mixing such an art but i my opinions are slightly differant than most engineers. i don't like to compress TOO much, i like to keep things more natural and i have my reasons.
the last thing you'll ever hear from me is "Dynamics are overrated" cause even though modern music might sound much better on first play, it does not survive the test of time.

so of course it's a matter of different stokes, and in that case, i prefer to stay away from the modern "murder-your-ear-drums" sound most of the time.

i really like the people here LOL
the israeli metal forum is filled with jerks...

anyway i have to disagree with what your'e saying...
i know that most people do compress like hell and that nothing is right in all cases which makes mixing such an art but i my opinions are slightly differant than most engineers. i don't like to compress TOO much, i like to keep things more natural and i have my reasons.
the last thing you'll ever hear from me is "Dynamics are overrated" cause even though modern music might sound much better on first play, it does not survive the test of time.

so of course it's a matter of different stokes, and in that case, i prefer to stay away from the modern "murder-your-ear-drums" sound most of the time.

ok, fair point. But still you seem to equate individual track compression to ear-raping loudness. Heavily compressing a vocal track wont make your track louder.

Also, compression only reduces dynamic range with short attack times (short being defined dependent on the input material). A 40ms attack comp on a snare track with 8-10dB of reduction will in fact *increase* effective dynamic range by crushing the body while leaving the transients in tact.

but that's mastering.

You missed the part where I said I was joking. Chill out dude. And judging by the work on your Myspace you really shouldn't come in here with the attitude of schooling us, there are different ways of doing almost everything when it comes to audio