Ear Fatigue.

jimwilbourne

I try.
Aug 20, 2010
Boston, MA
I feel like my ears get tired really fast when mixing.

I do work with a lot of bass heavy mixes, so I feel like most of my listening fatigue comes from that.

Does an ill treated room/monitor placement contribute to ear fatigue?
What's a safe volume level for Mixing to get the least amount of ear fatigue?

also, (being a musician playing & touring with poppunk/hardcore/metal since the age of 14) I've been exposed to TONS of ear damage. I feel like I already can tell the difference in my ears when I was 2 years younger.

anyone have any opinions on any of this?

Try mixing with less volume? Maybe try mixing pretty quiet and only turning up every now and then to listen for the mix, see if that works out for you?

Without any education or much knowledge about it, I'd say that an untreated room might cause more ear fatigue.

I think the most important thing is that if you think you've damaged your hearing, start using earplugs every time you play. And in concerts too. You can't get your hearing back, and it's very valuable - consider investing in some very good earplugs.

i prefer to spend most of my time mixing really quietly...like probably 65-70db, if i had to guess

not only does it cut down on ear fatigue, but i think that mixes that are crafted at low playback levels seem to generally hold up better when cranked than those which are mixed loud and then listened to at lower levels later on

take regular breaks,an hour mixing 15 minute break, and if you dont feel refreshed from that do 30 minutes work and a 15 minute break. Or call it a day and start with fresh ears tomorrow using this approach :)

I read somewhere that 85db is the optimal monitoring level for mixing. Its not too loud (at all really) but it was something to do with listening fatigue, frequency dispersion and phase. I will try to find the source material for you. (I think it was Stav.)

Cheers.

okay. to give you guys a good reference. I can only turn down my moniters to -84 db before it's infinitely quite. and 0 db is the loudest of course.
with that scale in mind, what would be the level?

Yes, you would need a SPL meter to see where 85DB is for you, it has no reference to the numbers on your volume dial.
Also, mid-high frequencies will be more likely to cause ear fatigue. If your monitoring is not too loud maybe there is an abundance of certain frequencies that even at low levels are hurting you ears. This is where monitoring and room treatment is good, it allows you too really hear what is coming out of the speakers. If you are still getting fatigue at 85DB, its your mix.
Cheers.

I read somewhere that 85db is the optimal monitoring level for mixing. Its not too loud (at all really) but it was something to do with listening fatigue, frequency dispersion and phase. I will try to find the source material for you. (I think it was Stav.)

Cheers.

the deal with mixing at 85db is that, according to the fletcher-munson curve, it's the SPL at which most people will hear most accurately across the frequency range

for me, i've found 85 too be a little loud for extended mixing, regardless what the science behind it says. not only does ear fatigue set in pretty quick, but it's also an annoying level to work at with other people around, as it's juuuuuuuuuust loud enough that you can't clearly hear someone else speaking in the room with you. it gets pretty annoying trying to turn down the playback or hit the dim button every time someone needs to say something...

Could be your monitors too. Some monitors have a little more weight in the fatiguing frequencies, though I'm not going to name any names.

@ Colonel Kurtz
Its Interesting you should say that, as even though I read it I found that 85db seemed to match the loudest I normally monitor at, I do prefer something a bit lower normally round 75 to 80db and maxing at 85 when I am playing tracks for people to listen to and no one needs to talk.
Cheers.

85dB is to loud for me to listen for hours. I sometimes go to 85dB when zooming in details, but I normally mix at 65dB - 70dB. That way, I don't have to shout to my clients when they're in the session. Plus, it's kind of a challenge, to make the mix sound 'big' in a small monitoring volume. But once you nailed it... you got a great mix.

I just tried mixing/ listening at 85db... way too loud for me. I mix at about 70 - 75db. That's heaps. 85db is when impressing people haha

mix quieter.
When im done with the mix i normally put it at welding volume for the band and walk out for a cup of tea.
I can normally hear potential problems from the corridor.

adam monitors are suggested to reduce a significant amount of aural fatigue.

we have a few old-timers here at the studio and they have had severe aural damage for obvious reasons.

a few of them use meclizine (dramamine) before they mix because it produces an equilibrium with in the cochlea and increases the amount of cochlear fluid which results in a more attended cilium in the cochlea.

this can cause drowsiness so it might also benefit to drink some coffee as well.

i know this sounds strange but ...it is something that seems to work for many people.

*it's also good to not mix at high sound pressure for long periods of time. (obviously)

There is something else most musicians and engineers take that makes you drowsy, and hungry, and happy.
'i know this sounds strange but ...it is something that seems to work for many people.'
:Smokin:
Might go have some right now my equilibrium with in the cochlea feels a bit off...
:zzz:

There is something else most musicians and engineers take that makes you drowsy, and hungry, and happy.
'i know this sounds strange but ...it is something that seems to work for many people.'
:Smokin:
Might go have some right now my equilibrium with in the cochlea feels a bit off...
:zzz:
dude, I dont know quite what it is....but after I toke it up, I instantly get in a more 'musical' mood.....