Earl Root from Aesma Daeva passed last night.

It is with a heavy heart that I bring you the news of the passing of Earl Root, our brother in metal. His determination to fight his cancer was astounding.

He was a guitarist in the band Aesma Daeva as well as the radio host of the show Root of All Evil. He also owned Root Cellar Records in St. Paul, MN for 14 years. The host of Motley Tuesdsays- much more can be said about him and his accomplishments. All around he was a great person both musically and personally.

His spirit is that of strength, unconditional love, unsurpassed light, and it will continue to shine forever more. Those who knew him and were friends with him were truly enriched in their lives. Even so, I still feel a deep sorrow that my friend and dear brother is gone from us.

Earl was always loved and admired. Not just for what he's done musically, but also personally.

I bet a million dollars he's walking around the after life looking for Randy Rhoads and Criss Oliva trying to start a band.

Have a safe journey, visit often, but if you decide to stay and rest a while, watch over us and know that you will never be forgotten.

To all his friends and family. You're in my thoughts.

ouch. He sent me a really nice email last fall...

"I have been a huge fan of your mag and banter for years. I agree with you many times on your ideas and also how you conduct biz and such...I have great respect for you also...for you have done what many cannot and that is do what you do out of passion. I have lived my whole life this way and did what I wanted to do and hoped for enough monetary gain to just pay the bills and allow me more time to play my instruments and write and do those things I actually enjoy. Don't get me wrong...I do like the work I do but ...it is still work. All can grind on you from time to time but the enjoyment I get when I hook someone up with their long lost fave record or help turn a deserving kid onto a new band or help a band get a gig or whatever....it all comes around....and goes and goes. As I get older, I realize I am still as angry as I was in my youth but my approach to its resolution or how I process and resolve it within myself has changed. Again...I agree with you that change i inevitable but not always good. I still say to this day that two of the biggest downfalls in the music of today is the pod guitar processor and pro-tools. Back in the day real men were engineers and had to work and get very creative to get the sounds they heard in thier head and were looking to reproduce. A musician had to have his shit together and ready for the task in one or two takes or the hallway was full of the 'next' guy to do this session. Cut and paste and tone control and pitch mods can make even the most mediocre player sound like a guitar hero and the avalability of cheap gear that actually sounds 'good enough' is everywhere. I grew up without the internet, without Guitar Center, without video games, without cell phones and I am a better person for it. I worked my ass off for my first real guitar (a 1970 Les Paul Deluxe)...it took me 10 months to pay it off and I still have that guitar today. I loved it and cherished it and played it all the time. Nowadays...a kid can afford a knock off and a ound alike amp and it is more a toy that will go out of vogue with them sooner than later. Look...I could rant all day about this....but I will try and get to my point. After careful reading of your intro....I belileve you have hit the nail on its head squarly(sp?). Many of the topics and ideas you have stated here in have been topics of discussion in the van or on my radio show or even after band practice. Many of them are problems that we as a band have talked about and worked at to resolve on our own and together. Many are problems we have to address as to what is going to be our next move and what are the pros and cons of such action or lack there of...ect...ect. (IE: OK...the kids are out their and they might like to hear our stuff...hhw do we get at them if they don't communicate or go to a show or even have one friend who confides in them). I had a friend of mine tell me just last week that he is gonna retire at 40 and has a home in blah blah nowhere and all that. I am happy for him bt he seemed unhappy for me....for he said I 'could' have had the same thing a hundred fold and that I was smarter than him and other such nonsense. I told him if those things were important to me than pursuing them would have been a priority but the words 'would''could' and 'should' need not be in the language because they really mean nothing. We talked to great length about this and went our ways but I believe he walked away with the idea that he acheived sucess in his right and I have also achieved mine in my right...and I am still achieving it. Yes...I am going on tour in my 40's with a heavy metal band....just like I did for almost a decade when I was in my 20's. Not because I thinnk I am gonna be a rock star.....(well...I guess I sorta am again)...and not because I want to relive something I did in my youth and have a mid-life crisis...nothing like that. I am doing it because I want to and I can. I love the band I am in...I love the music....I love performming it and people are entertained watching us o it. I see nothing wrong with any of that and I am looking forward to doing it as often as I can. Period.

Again...as for your intro.....I can nit pick it and have scrutinized it but I can't find anything wrong with it....right on brother....when you finish it...please send it to me so I can foward it to some people I know who need to read it....I promise I will forward thier replies to you if you so desire...and keep up the outstanding work.

Earl Root"

I still didn't finish the issue yet. *sigh*

He'll be very missed. I don't know him outside of his music with Aesma Daeva (who released one of my favorite albums last year), but he'll be missed still.