Early contenders for 2018 best albums thread ...

Riffffz

New Metal Member
Feb 19, 2018
England
Is it just me or has this year already set the bar high in terms of quality releases. Autopsy, Ataraxy, Genocide Pact and Hooded Menace have all staked a claim. Who else have I missed/would you recommend?

I haven't spent enough intimate enough time on metal to rank albums from an all-encompassing stand-point, but here are some notable releases:

Black Metal:
Communion - The Communion (haven't heard At the Announcement yet, but a lot of friends hold it in high regard as well).
Panphage - Jord (folky black metal with an old-god backbone)
Spite - Antimoshiach (pretty standard BM with a BBW low end)
Summoning - With Doom We Come (this has been receiving luke warm feedback, but it satisfied my need for new Summoning material.
Aksumite - Vinegar Perimeter (Black Metal with Hardcore overtones)

Death Metal
Portal - ION (kind of hard to peg this one stylistically, but it's definitely in the Disso-"shit" vein, but with a much less buried mix compared to their earlier material.)
Druid Lord - Grotesque Offerings (if you're big on Atraxay/Genocide Pact/Hooded Menace brand of Death Doom revival; you'll be huge on this one)
Golgothan Remains - Perverse Offerings to the Void (Death metal with some BM touchstones. Pretty straightforward record with some great riffs.)
Rotheads - Sewer Fiends (Another pretty straightforward record. Lots of OSDM flourishes.)
Xenoblight - Procreation (Tech Death/Thrash. Was kind of underwhelmed, but is worth looking into if you like things a little more technical)

Things I'm tracking to listen to at some point soon:
Abysmal Grief - Blasphema Secta (Doom Metal)
Chemicaust - Unleashed Upon This World (Thrash/Death)
Chevalier - Chapitre II (Heavy Fucking Metal)
Deströyer 666 - Call of the Wild (Blackened Thrash)
Deszcz - III (Crusty Black Metal)
Drudkh - Їм часто сниться капіж (They Often See Dreams About the Spring) (Atmo Black Metal)
Grave Upheaval - [untitled] (Death/Doom)
Knelt Rote - Alterity (War Metal)
Nachash - Phantasmal Triunity (Black Metal)
Necrobode - Metal negro da morte (Black/Death)
Rapture - Paroxysm of Hatred (THRASH)
Sex Master - All Posers Must Die (Goregrind/NOISE)
Substratum - Permission to Rock (HEAVY metal)
White Wizzard - Infernal Overdrive (Heavy Metal)
Аркона [Arkona] - Khram (Russian Folk Metal)

As a friendly reminder, this board has a dedicated sticky for 2018 metal releases in the General metal section labeled: Metal 2018
Otherwise, welcome to the board! I'm excited to share my taste with you and learn yours.

Haven't heard any particularly good metal yet but I have high hopes for:

Aura Noir.

Blutvial.

New Chaos Invocation and Ascension albums even though both of their previous albums did less for me than the older material.

Primordial, providing it's significantly better than the last two.

Thought I saw something about new Cauldron Black Ram. Anything from them or Stargazer or Misery's Omen would be great.

Serum Dreg and Dagger Lust.

Autokrator, although I'd rather a new (and good) N.K.V.D

Aura Noir.

Blutvial.

New Chaos Invocation and Ascension albums even though both of their previous albums did less for me than the older material.

Thought I saw something about new Cauldron Black Ram. Anything from them or Stargazer or Misery's Omen would be great.

Autokrator, although I'd rather a new (and good) N.K.V.D[/QU

Aura Noir.

Blutvial.

Autokrator, although I'd rather a new (and good) N.K.V.D
finally new Aura Noir material!

Morbosidad will have a new album too. One of the few goat/fago bands that I have really been into. Can't wait to listen to it.