East European music of note

Kenneth R.

Cináed
Oct 28, 2004
Hallways of Always
Alright, so we have the New Wave of American Heavy Metal thread.

This here's the Recommend me good bands from Eastern Europe. Not just metal! All genres.

Here's the deal: Sweden, Norway, Finland don't count. Germany, France, Spain, Italy, UK, Belgium.. etc either, but you should all know that. They have to be a current (active) band. The only other requirement is if you know a link to their website/label/etc, post it. Bring it!

Isn't Eastern Europe Romania, Bulgaria, etc. and other countries closer to Russia?

If so, I know no music from there. Poland is the closest country I can think of to Eastern Europe with the phenomenal Riverside.

there is a cool Polish progmetal band named "Mordor" and I own an album from them called "The Earth"...

some of it is in polish, mostly in english. Standard prog metal stuff... sometimes sounds like Opeth, sometimes sounds like DreamTheater...killer guitar player if you are into shred...he plays slow too, but you can hear the Marty Friedman/Jason Becker influence...i actually hear a lil petrucci now too...

edit: Poland has countless great blues acts in the vein of Led Zeppelin or more rootsy blues stuff, like unplugged clapton or robben ford...unfortunatly i dont know many of the names, and the ones i do are in polish... there is also Vader and Behemoth of course....

sweet, this is the kind of thing i'm looking for.

one more stipulation: English vox are not required :) Any language is fair game.

edit: Ok these are ones I am already aware of that I would recommend-
  • Riverside (Poland) later-Pink Floyd-ish atmospheric prog rock with heavier tendencies. lyrics in English.
  • Negura Bunget (Romania) The baddest black metal around.
  • Stonehenge (Hungary) Prog metal. lyrics in English.
  • Holy Blood (Hungary?) Folk/BM. Mentioned recently here.
  • Xenn (Poland) Prog rock, lyrics in English/Polish.
  • Nemesis (Hungary) Prog metal.

I can highly recommend Negura Bunget. Start with " 'n crugu bradului", one of my all time fave albums. Was lucky enough to catch them live last year. Awesome experience.
As for Austrian bands, you should all check out Pungent Stench.
http://www.pungentstench.net

Kenneth R. said:

This here's the Recommend me good bands from Eastern Europe. Not just metal! All genres.

Here's the deal: Sweden, Norway, Finland don't count. Germany, France, Spain, Italy, UK, Belgium.. etc either, but you should all know that. They have to be a current (active) band. The only other requirement is if you know a link to their website/label/etc, post it. Bring it!

Yeah, the only shit I'm familiar with is American stuff and Scandanavian stuff. I would definitely like to be exposed to other areas of European metal.

i'm from romania. i see you already know negura bunget :p

the only other noteworthy band i can think of is Psycho Symphony... they play cynic/atheist-like technical metal, with clean vocals and quite long and complicated songs. i wasn't impressed by one of their recordings, but in concert they ruled. unfortunately, they don't play very often - i think they have more concerts in hungary than here (it's cos they're from western transylvania, which is closer to hungary than to bucharest, the capital):erk:

another would be phoenix, which recorded 2 or 3 cool prog/traditional albums in the 70s (they're listed on progarchives :p)

regarding the rest, our metal scene is a pale copy of the western one - we have pretty good bands such as avatar and magica, but i don't see why they'd appeal too much to someone from the west.

euh ... Behemoth, Vader, Vesania, Riverside, ... oh well and a whole lot more from Poland.

hmm, I'm reading this again and it's like: wich one doesn't fit in :p

Kenneth R. said:

Jon Snow said:
Isn't Eastern Europe Romania, Bulgaria, etc. and other countries closer to Russia?

If so, I know no music from there. Poland is the closest country I can think of to Eastern Europe with the phenomenal Riverside.

We're talking about European countries which used to be in or next the Eastern block (USSR)?

Poland has Graveland, Rob Darken may be a Nazi, white supremecist scumbag but the bands pretty good.