Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Ebola Joy – Sitra Achra
Self Released – Ebola Joy Records – 2003
By Russell Garwood

Czech based trio Ebola Joy play a fairly unusual form of dark electronica. EBM elements are juxtaposed by metallic guitars, occasional screams, and harsher electronics, while occasional world influences add variety and keep the music interesting. The band members mention Anathema, My Dying Bride and Type O Negative as favourites - and while the music differs to a great degree the atmosphere is similar. Other inspirations include The Cure, NIN and Dead Can Dance – yes, "Sitra Achra" is not a cheerful release by any means. The electronics of Ricardo and aL sometimes use dramatic organs, at others dreamy violins and voices, and also occasionally betray dance leanings. The vocals use occasional growls, which create an interesting contrast to the otherwise less extreme sound, while the singing has a fragile feel to it, which suits the music well.

Drums are programmed in their entirety, and tend to lack variation – the band would gain from a real drummer, but in such electronically biased music this is not a necessity. The guitars are prominent throughout; melodic lines yet distorted sounds help create more extreme sections, while cleaner tones lead to more laid back passages. Overall, this is an impressive and professional demo, especially considering the fact that it was recorded in a home studio. The solid song-writing could nevertheless be improved, but Ebola Joy have an individual and enjoyable sound and I look forward to hearing further developments.

I just went through every link in Czech before I noticed the Union Jack link to bring up English... what I dork I be.