Echoes of Fear – Isolation

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Echoes of Fear – Isolation
Self Released – June 06
by Ryan Starr

Here we have a band from my old stomping ground of NorCal. I’ve never heard of Echoes of Fear before seeing them on the review list, but after some research, chances are I have seen them all in previous bands. Unfortunately none of those bands really did anything for me. Echoes of Fear is no different.

This self released debut is just unimaginative and childish. The riffs are garage quality, the kind of thing you play when you’re feeling things out. The only saving grace is the vocals. Vocalist Evil D has a pretty good power metal voice. But what I don’t get is why they are taking a power metal singer and combining it with their pathetic attempt at death metal. Every time someone tries combining the two, it fails. The closest anyone has gotten to pulling it off is Kiuas, and they aren’t really trying to be death metal. Furthermore, their choruses are sickening. They have a scary resemblance to Staind in these parts. Do these guys even know what sounds good together and what doesn’t? Let me sum it up for them:

Power metal vocalist + wanna be death metal riffs + Staind like chorus = really bad music.

I’m sure I’ll get a lot of crap from the guys back home, but sorry, this is just bad. Maybe all the lineup changes they’ve had since this release have improved things, but I don’t think I’ll be checking out anything new from Echoes of Fear.

Official Echoes of Fear Website

Ah, genocide roach, reminiscent of the old Powerslave.com days :)

Obviously I disagree with most if not all of your review, I do welcome your comments and critique. I would like to say, that the CD you reviewed is over 2 years old, and EoF was in its infancy at the time and only a demo.

However, I would welcome you to have a listen to the new current tracks that are posted online at www.echoesoffear.net or www.myspace.com/echoesoffear

lol, sup. yeah, you were in your infancy back then.

sorry it took so long to review this btw. we have quite a lengthy list!
~gR~