Edguy - Hellfire Club

Thraxz

Melody be Thy Name
Aug 27, 2004
Las Vegas
I know this isn't exactly OLD but they don't really fit any where else. I really enjoyed this album, even more than Theater of Salvation.

1) Mysteria - Sounded like pretty typical Edguy until about half way through the track then they broke into a really awesome (not terribly technical but sounded great) riff then overlaid a decent solo over it. A good track even if its not their best.

2) The Piper Never Dies - 10 minute track here. After a fairly lengthy intro it kicks you in the ass with a satisfyingly heavy riff. A short vocal dominated section later they convert over into a very Rhapsody-esque harmonized lyrics that I found pretty damn enjoyable. A very varied track that seems to be a page out of the Avantasia book. Who'da guessed, eh? Good track that ends on upbeat headbanging "note".

3) We Don't Need a Hero - Definitely a pick up in the pace. A heavier piece that stands out quite a bit after The Piper. They had a very different sounding solo in this song. Very impressive, definitely not something you'd hear in many other places. I'd say its a bit better than the first two tracks.

4) Down to the Devil - Very sedate intro that picks up imediately into a medium paced solo. A clear anti-conformity lyrical theme here. Not a stand out track with the exception of a rather lengthy solo.

5) King of Fools - Awesome, awesome track. Great heavy riffs that keep in your head(banging) for days. Synth fits into the song perfectly. Probably the best track on the album. \m/

6) Forever - Acoustic slow paced intro. Semi-ballad. I'll go out on a limb and say its quite a memorable track because of how catchy the chorus is.

7) Under the Moon - Back to the fast paced heavy ass kicking riffs complete with another catchy chorus. Definitely competes with King of Fools for the best track. \m/

8) Lavatory Lovemachine - Just by the title you can tell this is a parody of 80's glam bands... although I found myself doubting it in a few places in the song. Amazingly, I enjoyed the hell out of the track. Groovy riffs and a great solo.

9) Rise of the Morning Glory - Interesting riff to start out. Very much a happy go-lucky type of sound. Sounds very close to something Hammerfall might play. Lengthy solo really spices it up a bit towards the end.

10) Lucifer in Love - mini track not really worth mentioning

11) Navigator - Medium paced song that comes off as a decent track but nothing overly special.

12) The Spirit Will Remain - Very folksy intro with a fiddle that produces an almost Scotish feel. It turns into a very operatic/symphonic song that I felt was a very good closing for the album. (Avantasia really starts to seep in here.)

Hats off to Edguy... another kick ass album!

There considered Power Metal so I dont see any reason why it couldnt be in this forum.. after all if you put this thread in General Music Discussion it will probably get flamed because of alot of assholes that hang out there.. mostly teenagers and not to mention the MOD is a teenager and would probably close your thread because he wouldnt like the band.. anyways i been tryin to convince my best friend to get this CD because he is into alot of powermetal... i might pick it up myself after your review...

This is my favorite album of the year so far and it is something all old school metal heads who doubt there is any goo dmusic of today should check out. It is bands like Edguy, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, and Stratovarius that are the Iron Maidens, Judas Priests, Dios, and Saxons of today and beyond.

"Navigator" is one of my personal favorites on the album and really brings out the Iron Maiden influence in Edguy's music.

TheGraveDigger said:
"Navigator" is one of my personal favorites on the album and really brings out the Iron Maiden influence in Edguy's music.
Mine too tho I got more of a Queensryche feeling out of that song myself :)

Hellfire club is a Must have album! .... and Edguy are exciting live ... granted when I saw them live my expectations were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to high and they didnt match them but they were damn entertaining!!! ..... I remember Toby having fun with the word Fuck somebody in the crowd was like "Fuck Who" Toby Replies "Fuck Yes... But not you!" .... I dont know maybe you had to be there :)

I wish Nuclear Blast would have done with Edguy, what Century Media did for Lacuna Coil & Shadows Fall. Edguy would sell moderately well in the states, had they been marketed correctly. I would have gotten them promo while, The Darkness was still pushing their record. Then possibly Edguy would have done a tour of North America.
You have to wonder about record labels, sometimes...
Who the hell is running them?!

I would tell you but I can't see their faces with their heads jammed that far up their ass.

Seriously, these guys see the world through their belly buttons.

Hellfire Club is their best album yet along with Mandrake in my opinion.

Their early stuff, though solid power metal, was your typical generic power/speed stuff but those last 2 albums have broken out of that mould and the band now has a unique sound and stands out, blending Euro power metal with hard rock and melodic metal too, and as a live band they are unreal. I've seen them 4 times live now and they are great - full of energy and really know how to bring an arena rock style show into a club!

Most of my fave Edguy songs come off the last two albums - King Of Fools (their best song ever), Tears Of A Mandrake, Painting On The Wall, The Pharoah, Navigator, The Piper Never Dies.

I also love Headless Game & Hallowed, awesome songs! Vain Glory Opera always rocks live too...

Really enjoy this album, it's very fun with tons of catchy hooks. And they are a very fun live band as well, got the chance to see them twice this year :)

Thraxz said:
I know this isn't exactly OLD but they don't really fit any where else. I really enjoyed this album, even more than Theater of Salvation.
Actually, I'd say about 90% of Edguy/Power Metal fans on UM post in the ProgPower forum without any backlash. Makes sense.

I love Edguy - been listening to them for years! I would order their catalog as such:

Mandrake
Theater
Savage ('00 version)
Vain Glory
Hellfire Club
Kingdom

Hey, I don't know if anyone here has seen the video for Lavatory Love Machine?
It brings back memories of the 80's glam era videos. Not that they are glam or anything, but it has that kinda fun vibe to it...
Looks like they had a blast making it, which makes it fun to watch...

JonnyD said:
I absolutely love Edguy! But I cant stand Theater of Salvation ....lol figures dont it

Some of their earlier work can get quite cheesy and over the top, at times a bit too much for me... although I've only heard bits and pieces of their albums b4 Hellfire Club... and I think I own Tears of the Mandrake but only listened to it once, all I remember is that I liked the title track

Pabla said:
Some of their earlier work can get quite cheesy and over the top, at times a bit too much for me... although I've only heard bits and pieces of their albums b4 Hellfire Club... and I think I own Tears of the Mandrake but only listened to it once, all I remember is that I liked the title track

Thats is a Damn Catchy song indeed! .... The savage Poetry was the First Edguy Record I ever heard you would absolutely Love the song Hallowed I'm sure, and Vain glory opera is good too ... but Theater of Salvation ... ugh hahaha but even Mandrake has its Bad moments .. I mean All the Clowns ACK awful song hahaha but I really do love Edguy hahaha When they Rock they really ROCK :headbang:

Edguy kicks arse they are a very good band, imho King of Fools is probably one of the best tracks I have ever heard

TheGrim69er said:
Edguy kicks arse they are a very good band, imho King of Fools is probably one of the best tracks I have ever heard
They write some killer hooks, they remind me of like a modern Europe, with
a bit of an edge & bite. That's something that turned me off about Europe, they write some killer stuff, but it was lacking something...