Edguy's power ballads

TychoCelchu

Sep 28, 2004
Boston MA
I was just thinking this because I'm listening to Tinnitus Sanctus now. One thing that, in my opinion, hasn't changed from Edguy's power metal period to their current hard rocking phase is the consistent strength of their power ballads. From The Scarlet Rose to...uh, Thorn Without a Rose, and including the Avantasia ballads, every one of them is lighter-waving awesomeness. In fact, Cry Just a Little is one of the few highlights from Scarecrow, for me anyway. I love a band who can write a good ballad, and Edguy continually shines in this department. Thoughts?

Actually, I've always found their ballads to be rather mediocre...... I think "Land of the Miracles" was the first one I really enjoyed. The rest were rather plodding, all things considered.

the first ballad from them that I heard was "Scarlet Rose," and absolutely loved it due to its simplicity, then I heard "Land of a Miracel" and was blown away by it. However, as of late I've been listening to the Scarecrow (my fav Avantasia album), and I really enjoy "Cry Just a Little," "The Story Aint Over," and i think "What Kind of Love" is their most powerful ballad. I love the Amanda Somerville and Tobias trade offs with Tobias belting out those screams at the end.

ps...i also really enjoy "Save Me" :D

pss....did Avantasia ever perform " What kind of love" live during their tour? and what happened to the DVD they were supposed to release?

I was just thinking this because I'm listening to Tinnitus Sanctus now. One thing that, in my opinion, hasn't changed from Edguy's power metal period to their current hard rocking phase is the consistent strength of their power ballads. From The Scarlet Rose to...uh, Thorn Without a Rose, and including the Avantasia ballads, every one of them is lighter-waving awesomeness. In fact, Cry Just a Little is one of the few highlights from Scarecrow, for me anyway. I love a band who can write a good ballad, and Edguy continually shines in this department. Thoughts?

Agreed 1000000%.

I've always felt that Edguy's power ballad's are the one constant, especially on their recent albums, which have been met with mixed reaction to say the least. I love cheesy-ass heavy metal ballads, and every new one from Edguy (or Avantasia) makes me smile, and think "they don't make 'em like this anymore!" My personal favorite is "Forever" off of Hellfire Club, but "Thorn Without a Rose" is also outstanding...clearly one of the strongest songs on that album!