Edinburgh gig

Wow what can I say. Saxon totally rocked Edinburgh crazy on Wednesday night. What a fantastic performance by a fantastic band, I would probably say they were better the other night there than they were at King Tuts last year. Dan you missed an absolutely crackin night cos Saxon were deadly!!!!

I got there about 7.15pm and went straight into Liquid Rooms. My pal wasn't arriving till about 8pm so I just had a wee look at tshirts and then some guy came over and said to me that I had just missed Biff cos he was next door in the restaurant signing autographs and posing for pics. BUMMER!!!! I did see a crowd outside the restaurant but didn't think for a minute Saxon would have been in there.

The support band didn't even appear but I was well pleased with that cos it was just really Saxon that I wanted to see. The place was packed to the hilt, almost wall to wall full of metalheads with almost everyone wearing a Saxon tshirt - wow it was a beautiful sight indeed:D :D I was right down the front - well 2nd row - but there was only a wee boy in front of me so I got a superb view. Right in front of Nibbs, took some great pics, so will let youse see them as soon I get them on.

It was brilliant Saxon kicking it all off with Motorcycle Man and then straight into Play It Loud. The crowd lapped it up bigtime and Biff as always was in fine form - laughing and joking with the crowd - kept saying "do youse want a fast song or a slow song, an old song or a new song". But it was like a furnace down that front, 2 songs in and Biff was totally drenched in sweet - was that hot down there that Biff threw about 10 bottles of water into the crowd and then started opening bottles of water and throwing the water over folk.

Every song was superb but personal highlights for me would be Redline, The Eagle has Landed, Never Surrender,Wheels of Steel, Lionheart, Witchfynder General, Dogs of War and when they played Denim & Leather, the whole place was absolutely bouncing and I think that song got the most rapturous applause. And of course Princess of the Night got the crowd going utterly crazy again!!!! A truly sensational performance by one of the best bands on the planet.

Only one sort of disappointment - couldn't believe it when they didn't play 747!!!!! Yes you read that right, they DIDN'T PLAY 747. They came on for one encore and went off again - I think everyone expected them to come on and at least do 747 but they never came back on and everyone was sort of semi stunned not hearing 747. And they didn't play And The Bands Played On or Dallas 1pm - would have loved to have heard them played cos they played them at Tuts last year and they were outstanding.

Anyway Biff said they were coming back next year - Glasgow in March - so yippee I'll be there again right doon the front wearing my Saxon tshirt and Saxon logo pendant - got quite a few nice comments about my Saxon pendant - oh and Emperor Valanx, you wouldn't believe the amount of people that complimented me on my Angel Witch and Diamond Head patches LOL!!!!! In fact someone offered me £20 for the Angel Witch patch!

Set list as far as I can remember but I've probably missed a couple out, and not really in the correct order:-

SETLIST

Motorcycle Man
Play It Loud
Strong Arm of the Law
Stallions of the Highway
Power & The Glory
Frozen Rainbow
Suzie Hold On
The Eagle Has Landed
Stand up and Be Counted
To Hell and Back
Redline
Metalhead
Dogs of War
Lionheart
Witchfynder General
Never Surrender
Denim & Leather
Wheels of Steel
Princess of the Night

Princess the management of the venue cut the power so Saxon where unable to get back on for a couple more songs, which would have included a couple of them at least, Oh well roll on March back in Gasgow!

Aye shame about the power being cut by the club management!! They always do this in the liquid rooms and I hate the place as a result. We only went because it was Saxon playing but they could/should have come on earlier because there was no support and the stage time was no secret.

The gig was excellent, how rocking was their set??? Top drawer. Even if it was quite a bit shorter than the King tuts gig. I think it was a better crowd (with many more metal/saxon t-shirts on show) than the tuts gig so lets all get back to a better venue for their next return to scotland.

Aye shame about the prices of the drinks as well - what a rip off, £3 for a morgans & coke.i I was very nearly greetin every time I went to that bar!!!!! It's usually just over the £2 mark in Glesgae. Outrageous, I'll no be hurrying back to the Liquid Rooms again - well not unless the mighty Saxon are playing of course.

Next one for me is Robert Plant a week tomorrow at The Barrowlands - any one heading to that? Should be a brilliant night - never seen him before, so this will be a new experience for me, canny wait:D :D :D

I thought it was a bloody great gig,and I hope to see them again soon! Hope they do a different venue in Edinburgh,I was with a group of friends at the same side of the stage as Paul Quinn so it was great to see the lads in Edinburgh,and yes,,This town knows how to rock!!!!! We had a high old time!!! It's got me as junior member!!! I'm 34 ffs!!

We had a great time in Scotland. Especially in Edinburgh.
The gig was great as always even though it felt abrupt but can't blame the band for the fact that the venue management cut the power so we missed 747 and most of all Crusader, which was very sad.

We had a hard time finding The Liquid Room, strange place. It helped when we ran into Doug though. Standing just outside The Liquid Room asking him where it is (long day of drinking...)...Also cool to see the big man himself, Biff, close up outside the mexican place and then Nibbs at the pub next door after the show.

We'll be there the next time Saxon plays Scotland too!

Fantastic to see them again in just two weeks at the Sweden rock kick off.

Gee, this seems to be my topic for the day!! I was actually a tad hot, more than usual at that gig.

Went to this gig too...had a lovely time with my pal Princess. Natch, we were at the front. for where else would we wish to be ???
and Yup, we were taken aback at no 747. but the liquid rooms is very nasty for this..they run disco-type clubs after gigs.
I hadn't seen Saxon for a v. v. long time, since I had to walk out of an appalling gig during the late 80s (it was during their american dressing up phase), have to say, up till an abortive UFO (with Schenker) a couple years ago, Saxon were the only band to force me into such action,
Glad they returned to their roots.

To be honest, It was soooo long ago....I can't remember EXACTLY what forced me to leave the SAXON gig. I just remember being somewhat disgruntled and compelled to leave and It was the only gig I abandoned out of 100s I attended. And strangely enough, I don't think I was the only person to leave, as I vaguely remember leaving with a crowd of friends. Maybe something happened ??? will check with friends..

As for UFO..this was the reunion tour that had to be ended prematurely as Mr Schenker, well, Schenker was crap, he really just wasn't with it. Literally. Way and Mogg were doing their best but it just wasn't happening. It was embarassing.
I felt very, very sorry for them. I had seen UFO many times and this was a parody.