Editorial at Metalreviews.com

I was wondering why it is only metal writers that are plagued with doubts about themselves and the subject they deal with...do prog-critics or punkrock-fans not question their respective scenes and own work at times?

Occam's Razor said:
I was wondering why it is only metal writers that are plagued with doubts about themselves and the subject they deal with

Because we know what's wrong with the entire system, but to pursue the solution to that problem is to embrace everything commonly known as "failure".

Occam's Razor said:
...do prog-critics or punkrock-fans not question their respective scenes and own work at times?

I've picked up more than one hardcore or punk rock mag back a few years ago because they had some metal coverage... and it would seem that this sort of scene introspection is even more prevalent in punk.

Don't know about prog.

the proggies I read so far usually indulge in their own smugness and deliver a lot of verbose nothing. They like themselves in the role of listeners stigmatized as pompous and backward by the oh-so-commercial rest of the music world who. Progfans have the monopoly of good taste...

Occam's Razor said:
the proggies I read so far usually indulge in their own smugness and deliver a lot of verbose nothing. They like themselves in the role of listeners stigmatized as pompous and backward by the oh-so-commercial rest of the music world who. Progfans have the monopoly of good taste...

So they're just like the metalheads. :D

Jim LotFP said:
Dave pointed me in this direction.

http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/detail.php3?id=3155

(If anybody sees material on the web dealing with this, or anything else relevant to issues dicussed in Scum or Impure Metal, do post it on the board.)

I've emailed a few concerns to Ben and invited him here.
Quoi?

I presume that's not me you mean

I take it this guy never got back to you. I was going back to check something out and saw this in another "editorial":

I always know what’s going on in the metal scene because I am a part of it and especially today with the internet, ignorance is no excuse. A wealth of information is at your fingertips all you have to do is spend maybe ten minutes a day on any news site and you’ll know what is going on in the scene.

And these people call themselves "journalists." For fuck's sake....

Anyway, this is the original quote I was looking for:

I still find happiness in conducting my interviews, talking to bands, and writing about new music but it is a more refined feeling than simple adulation. Instead of thinking, “Teehee I just got done talking to Sharlee D’Angelo,” it is more like “Hey that was a good interview and some nice networking.”

I find this the most disturbing (well the whole goddamn thing and this tool's cavalier attitude makes it difficult to pick out one aspect) because I imagine that the "networking" he is doing with a publicist is what he values more than the interview--or am I reading a little to much into the "networking" angle he cherishes so much now that he is no longer "naive"?

DBB said:
I always know what’s going on in the metal scene because I am a part of it and especially today with the internet, ignorance is no excuse. A wealth of information is at your fingertips all you have to do is spend maybe ten minutes a day on any news site and you’ll know what is going on in the scene.

And these people call themselves "journalists." For fuck's sake....

I hope they used this quote of mine for that newspaper story last week:

"Nobody reading this, not an everyday person, not a heavy metal fan, not an industry professional, and not even myself, can really understand the variety of music available under the banner of "heavy metal". There is not enough time in the day to hear it all, even if we could find it. There's always something new and different, there's always something missed from years past, and somebody is always preparing something new and daring for release tomorrow."

Ten minutes a day my ass.

I was reading some of my old Lamentations mags (Pharaoh) and decided to check out the forum. Whoo whaddya know I seem to appear to be a chode.

In terms of using the term networking I mean it in the sense that the day I turn in my resume at a label that hopefully, along with the close friends that I have that can help me, that my character and personal being is at least looked at in a positive light by artists that I may in fact end up working with if all goes well. I've seen so many people that do what Jim and I do that have an ego the size of a goddamned Cadillac. I see the way some people act like they're on a pedestal just because they're on some "guest list." Fuck that, you're not cool, I'm not cool, and neither is writing. Case in point: writing's never gotten me laid. Sometimes when I'm on a bus waiting for the guy that laughed at me because he has a local cable access show and I'm a lowly internet writer to get done I notice the way the interview subject looks. When the guy doing the interview is yelling and acting like the subject should be so happy that he was chosen for this interview the band members look pissed and bored and are probably thinking, "When's this asshat getting off this bus?" I go out of my way to not be that guy. This does not mean I pacify anyone though, publicist, label anyone else.

I eventually want to become an A&R rep. Perhaps I'm an idealist but I do believe that there is still a way to nurture a band, take care of them, and help them succeed. And I want to do this with a band that I feel is genuinely honest and creates music that is from the heart. Right now I am not an A&R rep, not even close. So when I do my interviews no, I don't hold back for fear of angering a publicist or whoever. I still make it a habit to read as many recent interviews with bands as I can so as to avoid asking the same shit over and over again. I also like to ask some sociological type questions as well as questions relating to business and industry shenanigans. For example, I didnt know that second stage bands on Ozzfest had to fork over $75 000 dollars until recently. When I interviewed Soilwork I asked them about this, "How do you pay for it? Do you go in debt to play Ozzfest or does the label help you out?" They said its a half and half deal and that their half is covered by recoupable royalties. Stuff like that is interesting to me.

My comments about spending ten minutes a day on news sites, yeah that's kind of dumb sounding saying it out loud in my apartment right now. That was made out in haste and spite because I'm fucking sick of dumb ass kids that try to act like they are music gurus and the end all be all of knowledge when they don't even have any clue at all of what is happening currently in the music world. "You mean Iron Maiden still makes cds?" "No I didnt even know that Quorthon died" (says the guy in a Bathory shirt six months after he passed away) So yea that was a poor way of phrasing things.

I hope that clears things up a bit on this over a year old thread.