Egad... Lauren Harris

Melisan

Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Aja, offer the girl some singing lessons. Score brownie points with 'Arry.

And she's opening for Maiden, isn't she? That's even worse nepotism than Wolfy on bass for Van Halen.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more time Let me try to post this pic
index.cfm

Pictures%2Fl%5F83e554e30de5ef89aa379c2dbae7fbc2.jpg

While I agree that Lauren is the poorest decision for an opener for Maiden ever, I can't completely blame Steve for trying to help his daughter to succeed.

Yeah I agree. She is completely the wrong type of opener for Maiden but nevertheless I've really enjoyed her set the couple of times I've seen her. I love her cover of Steal Your Fire and when I saw her, she came over to our side and was singing it with me cos I seemed to be one of the only ones singing along to it. I really like Your Turn too. She's not got the best voice in the world but it's a damn sight better than her dad's!!!! :lol:

While I agree that Lauren is the poorest decision for an opener for Maiden ever, I can't completely blame Steve for trying to help his daughter to succeed.

I don't think it should be at the expense of the Maiden fans. Metal bands should open for metal bands, and pop bands should open for pop bands. No disrespect to Lauren but her band doesn't fit the bill. I can see Steve trying to help out his daughter but the types that go to see Maiden live aren't really into that kind of material.

I don't think it should be at the expense of the Maiden fans. Metal bands should open for metal bands, and pop bands should open for pop bands. No disrespect to Lauren but her band doesn't fit the bill. I can see Steve trying to help out his daughter but the types that go to see Maiden live aren't really into that kind of material.

I don't think he trying to get the Maiden crowd into her music. What I think he's trying to do is to get her experienced playing live to huge crowds.

[And she's opening for Maiden, isn't she? That's even worse nepotism than Wolfy on bass for Van Halen.[/quote]

I don't think so. Having Wolfy play bass for Van Halen would be like having Lauren sing for Maiden (instead of Bruce). I would much rather see Wolfy open with his own project and see Michael Anthony play bass with Van Halen.

Quite honestly, I was kind of curious to hear how Steve's daughter would sound so I'm glad I got a chance to see her show. Plus, you can't fault someone for wanting to help out their kids.

I thought it was also really cool that Maiden made arrangemments for US fans to get presale tickets. These last few concerts have cost a lot less than what I'm normally used to paying as a result. :)

Lauren Harris wasn't bad, bad mix though as her voice wasn't heard that well. They have more of a hard rocking sound live than the studio versions I heard. Still a little light and fluffy for my tastes.

Maidens sound was great so I'm not sure what the problem was for the opener, unless they weren't given the same amount of overhead.

[And she's opening for Maiden, isn't she? That's even worse nepotism than Wolfy on bass for Van Halen.

I don't think so. Having Wolfy play bass for Van Halen would be like having Lauren sing for Maiden (instead of Bruce). I would much rather see Wolfy open with his own project and see Michael Anthony play bass with Van Halen.

Quite honestly, I was kind of curious to hear how Steve's daughter would sound so I'm glad I got a chance to see her show. Plus, you can't fault someone for wanting to help out their kids.
[/quote]

True, you make a better analogy. But Steve isn't fool enough to put Lauren in Bruce's place. :)

No, I can't fault him for wanting to help his kid. But if he really wanted to help her, he'd make her earn it, like he did. We've seen the results of nepotism when someone's kid gets a deal and is pushed above their own level of capability. Kelly Osbourne, anyone?

The opening act thing really rubs me the wrong way because there are so many great bands that desperately need big opening slots, and there are very few bands left on the arena scale. A good opening slot can make a career, as Maiden found out in 1982 when they opened for Priest. Opening for Maiden could mean everything for Firewind, Nightwish, In Flames or Shinedown, just to name 4 possibilities. Instead, it goes to Lauren, unproven, untested, and from the sounds of it, ungifted. :rolleyes: