Eh, Lord Byron !

oops.

I meant that I love people trying to speak french, but I wonder why they say weird things, once translated, it's just real stupid. :)

there's much more interesting stuff out there, I recommand everyone to read Émile Nelligan's poetry, this dude influenced my whole existence, he's been compared to Baudelaire a few times. RIP Nelligan.

I've know Nelligan for some time, and he was quite a influence for me also, too bad there isn't much translations of his works

yeah, it's a shame that his work doesnt get more attention.
He was a real genius, started writing at 19yo and fall mentally sick at 21yo (schizophrenia). In 2 years he wrote hundreds of poems.
He stopped writing when his soul died, sad story

There was this german chap in the 19th century who was hailed as a poetry prodigy but then it just dried up. He went mute. I guess its related. Or he just took one LSD too many, or whatever.. professional poetry is dangerous business. or was. ;)

I should stop talking.

Lisra is right.

During that period, and even today, some unfortunate people (between 18-24 yo) developed mental illness like schizophrenia, its 50% genetics : the other half is what you do with your life.

Speaking of Nelligan, he used to smoke opium, way too much and his brain died after a short period. Those drugs accelerated something he already had inside of him. The sickness was there and his lifestyle just overwhelmed him. What a tragedy, God rest his soul.

Hm. That, and his fondness for prostitutes got Baudelaire as well. And possibly Rimbaud, if I remember correctly. And Poe died of alcoholism.

Good thing that our Kata-lads are performers and so have to ease it at some point, eh? :D

Edit:
The german chap was von Hofmansthal, I think.

I don't think writers and painters used to take drugs or alcohol during the creative process. They mostly used drugs and alcohol during the night, when the day was over.

Van Gogh was sober when he was painting. I dont know for every poets but those I heard about was sober and lucid.
But chances are, some artists may have used some substances.